Radon survey in the kindergartens of three Visegrad countries (Hungary, Poland and Slovakia)
- 104 Downloads
The radon activity concentration was measured in 67 rooms in kindergartens in Visegrad countries over a period of 1 year using the SSNTD method within the framework of the standard V4 project. In 7.5% of rooms radon activity concentration exceeded 300 Bq m−3, the reference value recommended by the Council Directive 2013/59/EURATOM. The annual effective doses due to radon inhalation ranged from 0.5 to 13.3 mSv for children and from 0.3 to 8.3 mSv for staff.
KeywordsIndoor radon Kindergartens Passive track detectors Seasonal radon changes Building materials
This work was supported by Visegrad Fund (Grant No. 21510153); and the Scientific Grant Agency of the Ministry of Education of the Slovak Republic VEGA (Grant Nos. 1/0213/18, 1/0143/14, 2/0083/18).
- 1.WHO (2009) WHO handbook on indoor radon. A public health perspective. WHO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 2.Pearce MS, Salotti JA, Little MP, McHugh K, Lee C, Kim KP, Howe NL, Ronckers CM, Rajaraman P, Craft AW, Parker L, de González AB (2012) Radiation exposure from CT scans in childhood and subsequent risk of leukemia and brain tumors: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(12)60815-0 Google Scholar
- 5.Kendall GM, Little MP, Wakeford R, Bunch KJ, Miles JC, Vincent TJ, Meara JR, Murphy MF (2012) A record-based case-control study of natural background radiation and the incidence of childhood leukemia and other cancers in Great Britain during 1980–2006. Leukemia. https://doi.org/10.1038/leu.2012.151 Google Scholar
- 7.Bulko M, Pohronská Ž, Müllerová M, Holý K, Böhm R (2012) Effective dose from outdoor radon in children in dependence on their age (in Slovak). Bezpečnost Jaderné Energie 20(11–12):370–372Google Scholar
- 13.Vuchov D, Ivanova K, Stojanovska Z, Kunovska B, Badulin V (2013) Radon measurement in schools and kindergartens (Kremikovtsi municipality, Bulgaria). Rom J Phys 58:S328–S335Google Scholar
- 15.Kozlowska B, Kordiak M, Wysocka M (2004) A study of radon concentration in kindergartens in the upper Silesia, Poland. In: Proceedings of the 4th European conference on protection against radon at home and at work, vol 36, No. 3, pp 1–6. https://inis.iaea.org/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/36/010/36010920.pdf. Accessed 27 Sept 2018
- 17.Fojtíková I, Navrátilová Rovenská K (2015) Methodology for measurement in schools and kindergartens: experiences. Radiat Prot Dosim 45:62Google Scholar
- 19.RADOSYS LTD., Technical information. http://www.radosys.com/index_htm_files/RSKS_RS_Man82-130129_c.pdf. Accessed 27 Sept 2018
- 21.UNSCEAR (2000) Exposures from natural radiation sources. New York, UNGoogle Scholar
- 22.ICRP (2017) Occupational intakes of radionucludis: part 3. ICRP Publication 137. Ann ICRP, vol 46, No. 3/4Google Scholar