Studies of the homologs and pseudo-homologs of flerovium with crown ether based extraction chromatography resins
- 179 Downloads
A crown-ether based extraction chromatography resin, Eichrom Pb, has been characterized for separations of the flerovium (Fl) pseudo-homolog Hg. Previous results on the batch uptake of Pb(II) and Sn(IV) are compared with newly investigated Hg(II) in HCl matrices. It was determined that all three elements can be strongly retained by the resin at different HCl concentrations. To assess the feasibility for performing an experiment on the chemical properties of Fl using this resin the extraction kinetics were studied. A separation method for the isolation of the homologs Pb(II) and Sn(IV) and pseudo-homolog Hg(II) has been established using 2 mL pre-packed Pb resin columns under vacuum flow.
KeywordsMacrocycles Crown ethers Extraction chromatography Flerovium Homologs Heavy element Mercury Lead Tin
The authors would like to thank CAMS facility staff at LLNL, specifically Scott Tumey, Thomas Brown and Graham Bench for providing beam time and expertise to the production of radionuclides used in this study. This study was performed under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Energy by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory under Contract DE-AC52-07NA27344. This work was funded by the Laboratory Directed Research and Development Program at LLNL under project tracking code 11-ERD-011 and 17-LW-035, as well as by the LLNL Livermore Graduate Scholar Program.
- 6.Francis T (2002) Liquid-liquid extraction and separation of mercury from industrial wastes. (Doctoral dissertation). Regional Research Laboratory (CSIR), IndiaGoogle Scholar
- 7.Roesmer J, Kruger P (1960) The radiochemistry of mercury. National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council, Washington D.CGoogle Scholar
- 9.Nervik WE (1960) The radiochemistry of tin. Subcommittee on radiochemistry. National Acadamy of Sciences-National Research Council, Washington D.CGoogle Scholar
- 10.Gibson WM (1961) The radiochemistry of lead. National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council, Washington D.CGoogle Scholar
- 12.Despotopulos JD, Kmak KN, Gharibyan N, Brown TA, Grant PM, Henderson RA, Moody KJ, Tumey SJ, Shaughnessy DA, Sudowe R (2015) Production and isolation of homologs of flerovium and element 115 at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Center for Accelerator Mass Spectrometry. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 308:567–572CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Despotopulos JD (2015) Studies of flerovium and element 115 homologs with macrocyclic extractants (Doctoral dissertation). ProQuest Ann Arbor 3715057:224Google Scholar
- 14.“National Nuclear Data Center “NNDC” (2013) Brookhaven National Laboratory, [Online]. http://www.nndc.bnl.gov. Accessed 16 Oct 2016