Effect of thermal neutron irradiation at No. 2 channel of Dalat nuclear research reactor on dyed polyvinyl alcohol films
- 48 Downloads
The polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films dyed with methylene blue were decolorised after they were irradiated in a dose range from 0.059 to 1.411 Gy by thermal neutron source at the end of the channel No. 2 of the Dalat nuclear research reactor. The thermal neutron flux at an outer position of beam line at the channel No. 2 was 1.6 × 106 neutron/cm2 s. The dyed PVA films containing boric acid could be used for improvement physical qualities of the films. Response-curves of the dyed PVA films which were irradiated by the thermal-neutron source were described by the saturated exponential function of the energy transfer model.
KeywordsDyed PVA films Response-curves Optical density Methylene blue Dalat nuclear research reactor Thermal- neutron
The authors would like to acknowledge the Institute for Nuclear Science and Technology, the Nuclear Research Institute and Vietnam Atomic Energy Institute for their support via the project No. KC.05.04/16-20 in this study. The authors express our gratitude to colleagues who made many substantial suggestions for improving this paper.
- 2.Dudley RA (1965) Book radiation dosimetry. Academic Press INC, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 4.Akhtar S, Hussain T, Shahzad A, Qamar-ul-Islam (2013) The feasibility of reactive dye in PVA films as high dosimeter. J Basic Appl Sci 9:420–423Google Scholar
- 5.Akhtar S, Hussain T, Shahzad A, Qamar-ul-Islam (2013) Radiation-induced decoloration of reactive dye in PVA films for film dosimetry. J Basic Appl Sci 9:416–419Google Scholar
- 6.Beshir WB (2011) Radiation sensitive indicator based on tetra bromophenol blue dyed poly(vinyl alcohol). J Rad Res Appl Sci 4:839–853Google Scholar
- 7.El-Kelany M (2012) Effect of γ radiation on the physical properties of poly(vinyl alcohol) dyed with tetrabromo phenolphthalein ethyl ester. Chem Mater Res 2(5):71–80Google Scholar
- 8.Ebraheem S, El-Kelany M (2013) Dosimeter film based on ethyl violet-bromophenol blue dyed poly(vinyl alcohol). J Polym Chem 3:1–5Google Scholar
- 9.Shahid MAK, Bashir B, Bashir H, Mubashir A (2014) Dosimetric characterization of Henna dye polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films. J Phys Environ Sci Res 2:21–31Google Scholar
- 12.Rahim F, Miller A, McLaughlin WL (1985) The response of radiation monitoring labels to gamma rays and electrons. Radiat Phys Chem 25(4–6):767–775Google Scholar
- 18.Vuong HT, Pham NS, Nguyen ND, Tran TA, Nguyen XH (2014) Progress of filtered neutron beams development and applications at the horizontal channels No. 2 and No. 4 of Dalat nuclear research reactor. Nucl Sci Technol 4(1):62–69Google Scholar
- 20.Nghiep TD, Kojima T (1996) An energy-transfer model for radiation dosimetry. Commun Phys 6(2):5–12Google Scholar