Retrospective neutron spectrum determination of a (30 MeV D, Be) source using the multi-foil activation technique and STAYSL-PNNL
- 74 Downloads
Retrospective characterization of a (30 MeV D, Be) neutron source was performed employing multi-foil activation and STAYSL-PNNL. Experimental reaction rates were calculated from gamma spectroscopy measurements of irradiated foils and MCNP provided the guess spectrum. Adjusted spectra were evaluated through activation calculations for a stainless-steel target using FISPACT-II. Adjusted spectra showed limited dependence on the dosimetry reactions and provided minor improvements in activation calculations. Omitting reflected neutrons in the guess spectrum generated poor activation results and the limited number of dosimetry reactions introduced doubt in the adjusted spectra. A dedicated neutron spectrometry experiment and a more detailed simulation is required.
KeywordsSTAYSL-PNNL Neutron spectral adjustment Foil activation d+Be neutron source MCNP FISPACT-II
This work was performed under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Energy by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory under Contract DE-AC52-07NA27344.
- 1.Nethaway DR, Van Konynenburg RA, Adams TM (1976) Measurement of the neutron spectrum on a thick beryllium target from the reaction of 30-MeV deuterons. Natl Tech Inf Serv, UCID52024Google Scholar
- 9.Greenwood LR, Johnson CD (2013) User guide for the STAYSL PNNL suite of software tools. PNNL-22253, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- 11.Sublet J-CC, Eastwood JW, Morgan JG, et al (2015) FISPACT-II user manual. Technical report UKAEA-R(11)11 Issue 7. http://fispact.ukaea.uk/. Accessed 23 Jan 2018
- 12.Shieldwerx SWX-500 Series Activation Foils Specification Sheet. http://www.shieldwerx.com/assets/swx-5xx.pdf. Accessed 27 Mar 2017
- 13.Goodfellow (2014) Stainless steel—AISI 304-Foil. www.goodfellowusa.com. Accessed 7 Mar 2017
- 14.Zsolnay EM, Noy RC, Nolthenius HJ, Trkov A (2012) Summary description of the new International Reactor Dosimetry and Fusion File (IRDFF release 1.0). INDC(NDC)-0616. https://www-nds.iaea.org/publications/indc/indc-nds-0616-1.pdf. Accessed 24 Jan 2018
- 15.Gunnink R, Niday JB (1972) Computerized quantitative analysis by gamma-ray spectroscopy (Gamanal), vol 1–4, UCRL-51061Google Scholar
- 16.Muscovite mineral data. http://webmineral.com/data/Muscovite.shtml#.Wq4YKJdlAuU. Accessed 15 Jan 2018
- 17.MacFarlane RE, Muir DW (1994) The NJOY nuclear data processing system: version 91. LA-12740-M. https://doi.org/10.2172/10115999
- 18.Nuclear Energy Agency (2014) JEFF-3.2 evaluated data library. http://www.oecd-nea.org/dbforms/data/eva/evatapes/jeff_32/. Accessed 10 Jan 2018
- 19.Greenwood LR, Simakov SP, Trkov A (2017) INDC International Nuclear Data Committee testing and improving the International Reactor Dosimetry and Fusion File (IRDFF). INDC(NDS)-0731. https://www-nds.iaea.org/publications/indc/indc-nds-0731.pdf. Accessed 5 Feb 2018