Investigation characteristics of polyvinyl alcohol film dyed methylene blue and irradiated by gamma source
- 42 Downloads
The polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films dyed methylene blue containing different masses of boric acid and PVA powder were investigated. The dyed PVA films were irradiated by 60Co γ-source in a dose range from 10 to 150 kGy. The optical density changes at pre and post-irradiation of these films were studied by UV–VIS 2450 spectrophotometer at 668 nm wavelength. The gamma dose–response curves of the dyed PVA films were described by saturated exponential function of the energy transfer model with a high correlative coefficient. Fading effect of the dyed films after irradiation was investigated carefully.
KeywordsPolyvinyl alcohol Dyed film Dose–response curves Optical density Methylene blue Boric acid
The authors would like to thank the Institute for Nuclear Science and Technology, the Hanoi Irradiation Center and Vietnam Atomic Energy Institute for their support toward the successful completion of this work with the project No. KC.05.04/16-20.
- 1.Woods RJ, Pikaev AK (1994) Handbook of applied radiation chemistry: radiation processing. Wiley, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 2.Bhat NV, Nate MM, Bhat RM, Bhat BC (2007) Effect of γ-radiation on polyvinyl alcohol films doped with some dyes and their use in dosimetric studies. Indian J Pure Appl Phys 45:545–548Google Scholar
- 3.McLaughlin WL (1991) Novel radiation dosimetry systems. International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA): IAEAGoogle Scholar
- 4.Miller A (1986) Dosimetry for radiation processing. Radiat Phys Chem 28:521–529Google Scholar
- 5.Miller A (1991) Role of dosimetry in quality control. IAEA-SM-314/39Google Scholar
- 9.Beshir WB (2011) Radiation sensitive indicator based on tetra bromophenol blue dyed poly(vinyl alcohol). J Radiat Res Appl Sci 4:839–853Google Scholar
- 10.El-Kelany M (2012) Effect of Gamma-radiation on the physical properties of poly(vinyl alcohol) dyed with tetrabromophenolphathalein ethyl ester. Chem Mater 2:71–80Google Scholar
- 12.Shahid MAK, Bashir B, Bashir H, Mubashir A (2014) Dosimetric characterization of Henna dye polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) films. J Phys Environ Sci Res 2:21–31Google Scholar
- 15.Eid Sayeda, Beshir Wafaa, Ebraheem Seif (2017) Optical band gap and radiation chemical formation of HCl in polyvinyl alcohol films containing chloral hydrate for use in radiation dosimetry. J Chem Soc Park 39:11–16Google Scholar
- 16.Chung WH, Kim HS, Kim HJ, Jung HT (1985) Methylene blue-PVA dosimeter. J Radiat Protect 10(1):64–67Google Scholar
- 19.Nghiep TD, Kojima T (1996) An energy-transfer model for radiation dosimetry. Commun Phys 6:5–12Google Scholar