Highly efficient bio-sorption of trivalent f-elements using wild type Rhizopus arrhizus dead fungus
- 163 Downloads
Wild type Rhizopus arrhizus biomass was demonstrated as highly efficient bio-sorbent for trivalent f-elements. Both Am3+ and Eu3+ were found to follow the Fruendlich isotherm through chemi-sorption. The sorption for Am3+ was found be faster compared to Eu3+ while both proceeded via pseudo-second order reaction. EDTA was found to be effective strippant whereas up to 500 kGy, the bio-sorbent showed high radiolytic stability. Luminescence employed for probing the local environment of metal ion on sorption which revealed the presence of single adsorbed species with no inner sphere water molecules. The covalency of metal–ligand bond enhanced on complexation with the bio-sorbent.
KeywordsBio-sorption Rhizopus arrhizus Isotherm Luminescence Kinetics
The author wish to acknowledge Dr. R. M. Kadam, Head, Actinide Spectroscopy Section and Dr. P. K. Pujari, Head, Radiochemistry Division for their constant support.
Funding was provided by Bhabha Atomic Research Centre.
- 2.Antony MP, Kumaresan R, Suneesh AS, Rajeswari S, Robertselvan B, Sukumaran V, Manivannan R, Syamala KV, Venkatesan KA, Srinivasan TG, Vasudeva Rao PR (2011) Development of a CMPO based extraction process for partitioning of minor actinides and demonstration with geneuine fast reactor fuel solution (155 GWd/Te). Radiochim Acta 99(4):207–215CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Singh M, Sengupta A, Murali MS, Kadam RM (2016) Comparative Study on the radiolytic stability of TBP, DHOA, Cyanex 923 and Cyanex 272 in ionic liquid and molecular diluent for the extraction of thorium. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 309(2):615–625Google Scholar
- 25.Beveridge TJ, Koval SF (1981) Binding of metals to cell envelopes of Escherichia coli K-12. Appl Environ Microbiol 42(2):325–335Google Scholar
- 31.Castellan GW (1983) Physical chemistry, 3rd edn. Addison-Wesley, ReadingGoogle Scholar
- 34.Dada AO, Olalekan AP, Olatunya AM, Dada O (2012) Langmuir, freundlich, temkin and Dubinin-Radushkevich isotherms studies of equilibrium sorption of Zn2? Unto phosphoric acid modified rice husk. J Appl Chem 3(1):38–45Google Scholar
- 35.Sengupta A, Sk Jayabun, Pius IC, Thulasidas SK (2016) Synthesis, characterization and application of metal oxides impregnated silica for the sorption of thorium. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 309:841–852Google Scholar
- 36.Li C, Wu L, Chen L, Yuan X, Cai Y, Feng W, Liu N, Ren Y, Sengupta A, Murali MS, Mohapatra PK, Tao G, Zeng H, Ding S, Yuan L (2016) Highly efficient extraction of actinides with pillararene-derived diglycolamides in ionic liquid via a unique mechanism involving competitive host-guest interactions. Dalton Trans 45:19299–19310CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.Sengupta A, Godbole SV, Mohapatra PK, Iqbal M, Huskens J, Verboom W (2014) Judd-Ofelt parameters of diglycolamide-functionalized calixarene Eu3+ complexes in room temperature ionic liquid for structural analysis: effects of solvents and ligand stereochemistry. J Lumin 148:174–180CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 41.Mohapatra PK, Sengupta A, Iqbal M, Huskens J, Verboom W (2013) Diglycolamide-functionalized calixarenes showing unusual complexation of actinide ions in room temperature ionic liquids: role of ligand structure, radiolytic stability, emission spectroscopy, and thermodynamic studies. Inorg Chem 52(5):2533–2541CrossRefGoogle Scholar