Applicability of polyvinylpolypyrrolidone adsorbent to treatment process of wastes containing uranium
- 196 Downloads
In order to assess the feasibility of method for recovering U from wastes containing uranium (scrap uranium) using polyvinylpolypyrrolidone (PVPP) adsorbent, we have examined the adsorption and desorption behavior of metal species in HCl aqueous solutions dissolving scrap uranium. It was found that the U(VI) species are selectively adsorbed onto PVPP regardless of the presence of a large amount of Na(I) and Al(III), that the adsorbed U(VI) species are desorbed from PVPP column selectively by water. From these results, the PVPP resin is expected to be used as the adsorbent in the treatment process of scrap uranium.
KeywordsUranium Adsorption Waste treatment Adsorbent Scrap uranium Polyvinylpolypyrrolidone
The authors are grateful to members of the Waste Management Engineering Section, Environmental Research and Development Department, Ningyo-toge Environmental Engineering Center, Sector of Decommissioning and Radioactive Waste Management, Japan Atomic Energy Agency.
- 2.Amamoto I (2000) Development of uranium conversion technology. Saikuru-Kiko-Giho 9:65–74Google Scholar
- 3.Japan Atomic Energy Commission (2010) Basic concept for treatment and disposal of uranium waste. Japan. Atomic Energy Commission Report, JapanGoogle Scholar
- 8.Yan TY (1990) Uranium precipitation from eluate using hydrogen peroxide American Institute of Mining and Metallurgical Engineers. Miner Metall Process 288:222–224Google Scholar
- 15.Ahmed AG, Mohammad GM, Nabawia AG, Sayed SAR, Asem AA, Thierry V, Eric G (2015) Cysteine-functionalized Chitosan magnetic nano-based particles for the recovery of uranium(VI): uptake kinetics and sorption isotherms. Sep Sci Technol 50:2776–2789Google Scholar
- 23.Vaaramaa K, Pulli S, Lehto J (2000) Effects of pH and uranium concentration on the removal of uranium from drinking water by ion exchange. Radiochim Acta 88:845–849Google Scholar
- 28.Mustafa R, Chandra G, Andrew M (2005) Beer stabilization technology-clearly a matter of choice. MBAA TQ 42:332–338Google Scholar
- 29.Nogami M, Sugiyama Y, Kawasaki T, Harada M, Kawata Y, Morita Y, Kikuchi T, Ikeda Y (2013) Stability of polyvinylpolypyrrolidone against gamma-ray irradiation in HNO3 media. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 296:423–427Google Scholar
- 33.Xu Z, Kuang D, Liu L, Deng Q (2007) Selective adsorption of norfloxacin in aqueous media by an imprinted polymer based on hydrophobic and electrostatic interactions. J Radiophar Anal 45:54–61Google Scholar
- 39.ASTM C967-02 (2002) Standard specification for uranium ore concentrateGoogle Scholar