Determination of gaseous fission product yields from 14 MeV neutron induced fission of 238U at the National Ignition Facility
We determined fission yields of xenon (133mXe, 135Xe, 135mXe, 137Xe, 138Xe, and 139Xe) resulting from 14 MeV neutron induced fission of depleted uranium at the National Ignition Facility. Measurements begin approximately 20 s after shot time, and yields have been determined for nuclides with half-lives as short as tens of seconds. We determined the relative independent yields of 133mXe, 135Xe, and 135mXe to significantly higher precision than previously reported. The relative fission yields of all nuclides are statistically indistinguishable from values reported by England and Rider (ENDF-349. LA-UR-94-3106, 1994), with exception of the cumulative yield of 139Xe. Considerable differences exist between our measured yields and the JEFF-3.1 database values.
KeywordsFission yields National Ignition Facility Xenon isotopes Depleted uranium 14 MeV neutrons
This work performed under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Energy by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory under Contract DE-AC52-07NA27344.
- 9.Gharibyan N, Moody KJ, Shaughnessy DA (2015) Non-destructive analysis of DU content in the NIF hohlraums. LLNL-TR-680561Google Scholar
- 10.England T, Rider B (1994) Evaluation and compilation of fission yields, ENDF-349. LA-UR-94-3106Google Scholar
- 11.Koning A, Forrest R, Kellett M, Mills R, Henriksson H, Rugama Y (2006) The JEFF-3.1 nuclear data library, JEFF report 21, NEA Publication No. 6190Google Scholar
- 13.Grim GP, Rundberg R, Hayes AC, Jungman G, Boswell M, Klein A, Wilhelmy J, Tonchev A, Yeamans CB (2014) Measurement of reaction-in-flight neutrons using thulium activation at the National Ignition Facility. In: SPIE Optical Engineering + Applications. International Society for Optics and Photonics, pp 921108–921113Google Scholar
- 14.Hatarik R, Sayre DB, Caggiano JA, Phillips M, Eckart MJ, Grim GP, Hartouni E, Mcnaney JM (2015) Analysis of the neutron time-of-flight spectra at the National Ignition Facility (in review)Google Scholar