Separation of curium from americium using composite sorbents and complexing agent solutions
- 295 Downloads
The EXAm and the AmSel liquid–liquid extraction processes have been used as bases for the development of chromatographic systems for separation of curium(III) from americium(III). The liquid organic phases were replaced by composite sorbents with PAN binding matrix and complexing agent in nitric acid solutions were employed as aqueous phases. The influence of complexing agent and nitric acid concentrations on weight distribution coefficients and separation factor and the kinetics of the actinide uptake were determined in batch experiments with trace amounts of 241Am and 244Cm. The efficiency of Cm(III) separation from Am(III) was evaluated in column experiment.
KeywordsAmericium Curium Separation Composite sorbent Complexing agent
This research has been supported by the Grant Agency of the Czech Technical University in Prague, grants No. SGS11/071/OHK4/1T/14 and SGS12/199/OHK4/3T/14, and the Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic, grant No. VG20132015132.
- 1.Seaborg GT, James RA, Morgan LO (1949) The New Element Americium (Atomic Number 95), THIN PPR 14 B The Transuranium Elements: Paper No. 22.1, McGraw-Hill Book, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 5.Thompson GH (1972) Ion Exch Membr 1:87–89Google Scholar
- 7.Bigelow JE, Benker DE, Chattin FR, King LJ, Knauer JB, Ross RG, Stacy RG, Wiggins JT (1984) Gram-scale separation of curium from americium using ammonium α–hydroxyisobutyrate in high–pressure cation columns. Int Symp Actin Lanthan Sep, Honolulu, pp 16–22Google Scholar
- 26.Horwitz EP, Bloomquist CAA, Harvey HW, Cohen D, Basile LJ (1965) ANL-6998Google Scholar
- 28.Appelman EH, Diamond H, Horwitz EP, Sullivan JC (1991) Radiochim Acta 55:61–64Google Scholar
- 29.Donnet L, Adnet JM, Faure N, Bros P, Brossard P, Josso F, Development of the SESAME process. SFEN, ENS 5th International Conference on Recycling, Conditioning and Disposal, Nice, 25–28 October 1998Google Scholar
- 44.Warin D, Recent progress in Advanced Actinide Recycling Processes. OECD NEA 11th Information Exchange Meeting on Actinide and Fission Product Partitioning and Transmutation, San Francisco, 1–4 November 2010Google Scholar
- 46.Wagner C, Müllich U, Panak PJ, Geist A, AmSel, a new system for extracting only americium from PUREX raffinate. Sustainable Nuclear Energy Conference, Manchester, 9–11 April 2014Google Scholar
- 54.Št’astná K, Fiala V, John J (2010) J Radioanal Nucl Chem 268:735–739Google Scholar