First fission yield measurements at the National Ignition Facility: 14-MeV neutron fission of 238U
- 220 Downloads
The use of the Solid Radiochemistry diagnostic platform at the National Ignition Facility (NIF) has allowed the development and implementation of the Target Option Activation Device assembly for fielding materials of interest inside the NIF chamber during high yield neutron shots. Preliminary studies with ultra-depleted uranium have allowed for the measurements of fission yields of 238U. Radiochemical procedures were utilized for the separation of fission and reaction products from the target material to provide higher sensitivity measurements. Cumulative fission mass-yields for 32 different isobars, 72 ≤ A ≤ 153, were measured from experiments fielded on two separate NIF shots.
Keywords14-MeV neutrons Fission yields 238U TOAD NIF
The authors would like to thank the NIF engineers Kenn Knittel and Bahram Talison, who were instrumental in the design process and in fielding the TOAD assembly. We also thank the staff of the Nuclear Counting Facility at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, including B. Bandong, P. Torretto and T. Wooddy. This work was performed under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Energy by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory under Contract DE-AC52-07NA27344.
- 2.Edwards MJ, Patel PK, Lindl JD, Atherton LJ, Glenzer SH, Haan SW, Kilkenny JD, Landen OL, Moses EI, Nikroo A, Petrasso R, Sangster TC, Springer PT, Batha S, Benedetti R, Bernstein L, Betti R, Bleuel DL, Boehly TR, Bradley DK, Caggiano JA, Callahan DA, Celliers PM, Cerjan CJ, Chen KC, Clark DS, Collins GW, Dewald EL, Divol L, Dixit S, Doeppner T, Edgell DH, Fair JE, Farrell M, Fortner RJ, Frenje J, Gatu Johnson MG, Giraldez E, Glebov VY, Grim G, Hammel BA, Hamza AV, Harding DR, Hatchett SP, Hein N, Herrmann HW, Hicks D, Hinkel DE, Hoppe M, Hsing WW, Izumi N, Jacoby B, Jones OS, Kalantar D, Kauffman R, Kline JL, Knauer JP, Koch JA, Kozioziemski BJ, Kyrala G, LaFortune KN, SLe Pape, Leeper RJ, Lerche R, Ma T, MacGowan BJ, MacKinnon AJ, Macphee A, Mapoles ER, Marinak MM, Mauldin M, McKenty PW, Meezan M, Michel PA, Milovich J, Moody JD, Moran M, Munro DH, Olson CL, Opachich K, Pak AE, Parham T, Park HS, Ralph JE, Regan SP, Remington B, Rinderknecht H, Robey HF, Rosen M, Ross S, Salmonson JD, Sater J, Schneider DH, Séguin FH, Sepke SM, Shaughnessy DA, Smalyuk VA, Spears BK, Stoeckl C, Stoeffl W, Suter L, Thomas CA, Tommasini R, Town RP, Weber SV, Wegner PJ, Widman K, Wilke M, Wilson DC, Yeamans CB, Zylstra A (2013) Phys Plasmas 20:070501CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Gostic J, Shaughnessy D, Moore K, Hutcheon I, Grant P, Moody K (2012) Rev Sci Instrum 83:10D904Google Scholar
- 4.Gunnik R, Niday J (1972) Computerized quantitative analysis of gamma-ray spectrometry. UCRL–51061. doi: 10.2172/4696896
- 5.Firestone R (1996) Table of isotopes. John Wiley & Sons, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 7.McLane C (2000) EXFOR Basics. BNL-NCS–63380. doi: 10.2172/383650
- 8.England TR, Rider BF (1995) Evaluation and compilation of fission product yields. LA-SUB–94-170. doi: 10.2172/10103145
- 9.Breanna B (2013) Laser fusion experiment yields record energy at Lawrence Livermore’s National Ignition Facility, Livermore. http://www.llnl.gov/news/newsreleases. Accessed 13 Sep 2013