Influences of Co-60 gamma-ray irradiation on electrical characteristics of Al2O3 MOS capacitors
- 336 Downloads
Effects of gamma-ray irradiation on the electrical characteristics of Al2O3 MOS capacitors such as barrier height, acceptor concentration, series resistance and interface state parameters have been studied by analyzing capacitance–voltage (C–V) and conductance–voltage (G/ω–V) measurements. The fabricated MOS capacitors were irradiated with gamma-rays at doses up to five grays. C–V and G/ω–V measurements were recorded prior to and after irradiation at high frequency. The results show that the measured capacitance and conductance values decreased with increasing in irradiation dose and C–V and G/ω curves has been shifted toward the negative voltages. Moreover, the series resistance (R s) and density of interface states increased with increasing in irradiation dose and density of interface states (D it) were calculated as order of 1012 eV−1cm−2 prior to and after irradiation. Due to presence and variations in the R s values, the corrected and the measured C–V and G/ω–V exhibited different behaviors. Therefore other electrical characteristics were assessed from corrected C c characteristics. It was observed that acceptor concentration decreased with increasing in barrier height of device due to changes in interface states and diffusion potential.
KeywordsRadiation effects Al2O3 MOS capacitor Interface states Series resistance Barrier heights
This work is supported by Ministry of Development of Turkey under Contract Number: 2012K120360.
- 1.Nicollian EH, Brews JR (2003) MOS (metal oxide semiconductor) physics and technology. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Sze SM (1981) Physics of semiconductor devices, 2nd edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 3.Schneider CM (2007) Mosfet modeling for circuit analysis and design. World scientific, SingaporeGoogle Scholar
- 17.Rafi JM, Campabadal F, Ohyama H, Takakura K, Tsunoda I, Zabala M, Beldarrain O, Gonzalez MB, Garcia H, Castan H, Gomez A, Duenas S (2013) 2 MeV electron irradiation effects on the electrical characteristics of metal-oxide-silicon capacitors with atomic layer deposited Al2O3, HfO2 and nanolaminated dielectrics. Solid State Electron 79:65–74CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Singh V, Shashank N, Sharma SK, Shekhawat RS, Kumar D, Nahar RK (2011) Frequency dependence studies on the interface trap density and series resistance of HfO2 gate dielectric deposited on Si substrate: before and after 50 MeV Li3+ ions irradiation. Nucl Instrum Methods B 269:2765–2770CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Ma TP, Dressendorfer PV (1989) Ionizing radiation effects in MOS devices and circuits. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar