Relationship between particle size and radiocesium in fluvial suspended sediment related to the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant accident
- 534 Downloads
We collected fluvial suspended sediments in Fukushima after the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant (FDNPP) accident and analyzed the 137Cs concentration in bulk and size-fractioned samples to investigate the particle-size-dependent distribution of radiocesium. The 137Cs concentration in bulk suspended sediments decreased from August to December 2011, possibly reflecting a decrease of radiocesium concentration in its source materials. Smaller particles had higher radiocesium concentrations, reflecting larger specific surface areas. Silt- and sand-size fractions occupied more than 95 % of the total 137Cs in the suspended sediments. The contribution of clay-size fractions, which had the highest 137Cs concentration, was quite small because of their low frequency. A line of the data showed that the particle size distribution of radiocesium was essential to evaluate the migration and distribution of radiocesium in river systems where radiocesium is mainly present as particulate form after the FDNPP accident.
KeywordsFukushima Radiocesium Particle size Suspended sediment
This work was supported by a Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research on Innovative Areas Grant Number 24110008.
- 7.MEXT (2013) Available at: http://ramap.jmc.or.jp/map/eng/. Accessed 24 May 2013
- 22.Tanaka K, Iwatani H, Sakaguchi A, Fan QH, Takahashi Y (in revision) J Environ RadioactGoogle Scholar
- 26.Japan Meteorological Agency (2013) Available at: http://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stats/etrn/index.php. Accessed 20 Oct 2013
- 27.Geological Survey of Japan, AIST (2013) Available at: https://gbank.gsj.jp/geonavi/. Accessed 20 Nov 2013
- 31.Smith JT, Beresford NA (2005) Chernobyl—catastrophe and consequences. Springer, ChichesterGoogle Scholar
- 32.Fan QH, Tanaka M, Tanaka K, Sakaguchi A, Takahashi Y (2014) Geochim Cosmochim Acta 135:49–65Google Scholar
- 34.Digital Japan Web System. (2013) http://portal.cyberjapan.jp/portalsite/q_and_a/ans7.html. Accessed 24 Sept 2013