Adsorption of La(III) onto GMZ bentonite: effect of contact time, bentonite content, pH value and ionic strength
- 491 Downloads
Bentonite has been studied extensively because of its strong adsorption capacity. A local Na-bentonite named GMZ bentonite, collected from Gaomiaozi County (Inner Mongolia, China), was selected as the first choice of buffer/backfill material for the high-level radioactive waste repository in China. In this research, the adsorption of La (ΙΙΙ) onto GMZ bentonite was performed as a function of contact time, pH, solid content and metal ion concentrations by using the batch experiments. The results indicate that the adsorption of La (III) on GMZ bentonite achieves equilibration quickly and the kinetic adsorption follows the pseudo-second-order model; the adsorption of La (III) on the adsorbent is strongly dependent on pH and solid content, the adsorption process follows Langmuir isotherm. The equilibrium batch experiment data demonstrate that GMZ bentonite is effective adsorbent for the removal of La (III) from aqueous solution with the maximum adsorption capacity of 26.8 mg g−1 under the given experimental conditions.
KeywordsLa (III) Adsorption GMZ bentonite Buffer material Isotherm
The present work has been carried out under the financial supports of “National Natural Science Foundation of China (40802064, 20706045 and 41030748)”, “Innovation Program of Shanghai Municipal Education Commission (12ZZ032)”, “Scientific Research Fund of Hunan Provincial Education Department (11A010)” and Kwang-Hua Fund for College of Civil Engineering, Tongji University.
- 1.http://www.marathonresources.com.au/nuclearwaste.asp. Accessed 14 Dec 2011
- 5.Dixon DA (2000) Pore water salinity and the development of swelling pressure in bentonite-based buffer and backfill materials. POSIVA Report 2000–04, Posiva Oy, Helsinki, FinlandGoogle Scholar
- 13.Li K, Liu Z, Wen T, Chen L, Dong Y (2011) Sorption of radiocobalt(II) onto Ca-montmorillonite: effect of contact time, solid content, pH, ionic strength and temperature. J Radioanal Nucl Chem. doi: 10.1007/s10967-011-1400-8
- 16.Wang SW, Xing LJ, Lei C, Wang XK, Dong YH (2010) Sorption of Th(IV) on GMZ bentonite. J Nucl Radiochem 33:106–110Google Scholar
- 18.Lu S, Xu H, Wang M, Song X, Liu Q (2011) Sorption of Eu(III) onto Gaomiaozi bentonite by batch technique as a function of pH, ionic strength, and humic acid. J Radioanal Nucl Chem. doi: 10.1007/s10967-011-1532-x
- 21.Wen ZJ (2008) Selection and basic properties of the buffer material for high-level radioactive waste repository in China. Acta Geol Sin 82:1050–1055Google Scholar
- 24.Metcalf Eddy Inc (1991) Wastewater engineering: treatment, disposal and reuse, 3rd edn. Irwin/McGraw-Hill, BostonGoogle Scholar