Biosorption of radiotoxic 90Sr by green adsorbent: dry cow dung powder
- 221 Downloads
The present investigation entails the biosorption studies of radiotoxic Strontium (90Sr), from aqueous medium employing dry cow dung powder (DCP) as an indigenous, inexpensive and, eco-friendly material without any pre or post treatments. The Batch experiments were conducted employing 90Sr(II) as a tracer and the effect of various process parameters such as optimum pH, temperature, amount of resin, time of equilibration, agitation speed and concentration of metal ions have been studied. The kinetic studies were carried out employing various models but the best fitting model was Lagergren pseudo-second order model with high correlation coefficient R 2 value of 0.999 and cation exchange capacity of DCP was found to be 9.00 mg/g. The thermodynamic parameters for biosorption were evaluated as ΔG° = −5.560 kJ/mol, ΔH° = −6.396 kJ/mol and ΔS° = 22.889 J/mol K, which indicated spontaneous and exothermic process with high affinity of Sr(II) for DCP.
KeywordsBiosorption Radiotoxic strontium Dry cow dung powder Green adsorbent
We thank Gemmological Institute of India, Mumbai, for providing EDAX facility. We are also thankful to Dr. Raju Apte, Head of Gaushala, Keshav Shrushti, Thane, for providing DCP.
- 1.Argonne National Laboratory, EVS Human Health Fact Sheet, Nov 2006Google Scholar
- 7.Maresova J, Pipiska M, Rozloznik M, Hornik M, Remenarova L, Augustin J (2010) Desalination. doi: 10.1016/j.desal.2010.08.014
- 13.Dabbagh R, Ghafourian H, Bhagvand A, Nabi G, Riahi H (2007) J Environ Sci Tech 33Google Scholar
- 17.Vogel I (1975) Textbook of quantitative inorganic analysis, 3rd edn. Longman Green & Co., LondonGoogle Scholar
- 18.Lieser K (2001) Nuclear & radiochemistry: fundamentals and applications, 2nd edn. Wiley, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- 20.Saiffudin N, Raziah A (2007) J Appl Sci Res 3(12):2091–2099Google Scholar
- 21.Singh K (2005) J Indian Chem Soc 82:342–346Google Scholar
- 22.Ahalya N, Kanamadi RD, Ramchandra T (2005) Electron J Biotech 8(3):323–393Google Scholar
- 23.Lagergren S (1898) Zur theorie der sogenannten adsorption geloster stoffe. Kungliga svenska vetenskapsakademiens. Handlingar 24:1–39Google Scholar