Natural radionuclides in sediments and rocks from Adriatic Sea
- 97 Downloads
During the International Scientific Cruise to Adriatic and Ionian Seas organised by the International Atomic Energy Agency, sediment and rock samples were collected. Sediments were sampled with grab corer at six locations in the Southeast Adriatic Sea. Rocks were collected on three islets in the Adriatic Sea. In the samples, natural radionuclides 238U, 234U, 232Th, 230Th, 226Ra and 210Pb were determined. After sampling and sample preparation, radiochemical separation procedures were applied. Then the samples were measured by alpha spectrometry system equipped with passivated implanted planar silicon detectors or by low background gas-flow proportional counter. Activity concentrations of natural radionuclides in samples were from 6.2 to 27.0 Bq/kg for 238U, from 7.9 to 28.1 Bq/kg for 234U, from 1.6 to 31.9 Bq/kg for 232Th, from 9.7 to 42.0 Bq/kg for 230Th, from 8.3 to 45.7 Bq/kg for 226Ra and from 3.0 to 113.4 for 210Pb. The obtained values are discussed in detail and compared with results of similar investigations carried out elsewhere.
KeywordsNatural radionuclides Sediments Rocks Adriatic Sea
Financial and technical support from IAEA (project IAEA RER7/003) is highly appreciated. Authors thank the crew of the research vessel Palagruža for hospitality and technical support during the research cruise. The Slovenian Research Agency (contract no. P2-0075) is acknowledged.
- 1.Stricht EVD, Kirchmann R (2001) Radioecology, radioactivity & ecosystems. Fortemps, LiegeGoogle Scholar
- 2.ISO 11464:1994(E) (1994) Soil quality—pretreatment of samples for physico-chemical analysesGoogle Scholar
- 8.Smodiš B, Štrok M (2007) Content of natural and artificial radionuclides in the Slovenian Sea. Report IJS-DP-9737, Jožef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana (in Slovene)Google Scholar
- 9.Florou H, Kritidis P (1992) Gamma radiation measurements and dose rate in the coastal areas of a volcanic island, Aegean Sea, Greece. Radiat Prot Dosimetry 45:277–279Google Scholar
- 13.Petrinec B, Franić Z, Leder N, Tsabaris C, Bituh T, Marović G (2010) Gamma radiation and dose rate investigations on the Adriatic islands of magmatic origin. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. doi: 10.1093/rpd/ncp302