Distribution and identification of Plutonium(IV) species in tri-n-butyl phosphate/HNO3 extraction system containing acetohydroxamic acid
- 113 Downloads
There was a significant research progress achieved with the aim to modify conventional PUREX process by stripping of plutonium from the tri-n-butyl phosphate (TBP) extraction product in the form of non-extractable complexes upon addition of back-hold complexation agents. The present paper reports effects of such salt-free complexant, acetohydroxamic acid (HAHA), on distribution ratio of Pu(IV) under wide concentration of nitric acid and additional nitrate. General formula of plutonium species present in the organic phase can be described as Pu(OH)x(AHA)y(NO3)4−x−y·2TBP·wHNO3.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.G. Karraker, Radiation chemistry of acetohydroxamic acid in the UREX process, Westinghouse Savannah River Company, WSRC-TR-2002-00283, (2002).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Paulenova, P. Tkac, B. S. Matteson, Speciation of Plutonium and Other Metals Under Urex Process Conditions, Proceeding of GLOBAL 2007: Advanced Nuclear Fuel Cycles and Systems, September 9–13, 2007, Boise, ID, USA, 723–727.Google Scholar
- 8.P. Tkac, A. Paulenova, G. F. Vandegrift, J. F. Krebs, Modeling of Pu(IV) extraction from acidic nitrate media by tri-n-butyl phosphate, J. Chem. Eng. Data, accepted for publication.Google Scholar
- 13.H. Metivier, R. Guillaumont, Radiochem. Radioanal. Lett., 10(2) (1972) 27.Google Scholar
- 16.M. Alyapyshev, A. Paulenova, M. A. Cleveland, J. E. Bruso, P. Tkac, Hydrolysis of acetohydroxamic acid under UREX+ conditions, Proceeding of GLOBAL 2007: Advanced Nuclear Fuel Cycles and Systems, September 9–13, 2007, Boise, ID, USA, 1861–1864.Google Scholar
- 18.H. A. C. McKay, Tri-n-butyl Phosphate as an Extracting Agent for the Nitrates of the Actinide Elements, Proceedings of the International Conference on the Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy, 7 (1956) 314.Google Scholar
- 19.G. Petrich, Z. Kolarik, The 1981 Purex Distribution Data Index, Kernforschungszentrum Karlsruhe, KfK 3081, 1981.Google Scholar
- 20.P. Tkac, A. Paulenova, Spectroscopic Evidence of Extraction of Hydrolyzed Pu(IV) Species by Tri-n-butyl Phosphate., Radiochim. Acta, submitted.Google Scholar