Production possibility of 186Re via the 192Os(p,α3n)186Re nuclear reaction
- 139 Downloads
Experimentally measured cross-sections are presented for the first time for the 192Os(p,α3n)186Re nuclear reaction up to 67 MeV. Highly enriched thin 192Os targets (15 pcs), prepared by electro-deposition onto Cu backings, were irradiated with an external proton beam delivered by the SSC cyclotron of iThemba LABS. The excitation function curve of the 192Os(p,α3n)186Re reaction shows a maximum cross-section of ~82 mb at about 24 MeV. According to the yield calculations based on the present results, the available cumulative no-carrier-added 186Re yield is 7.76 MBq/μAh (0.21 mCi/μAh) over the energy region 13.4 → 27.3 MeV.
KeywordsExcitation function Proton induced reaction Enriched 192Os Electrodeposition Radioisotope production Medical isotope
The authors would like to thank the accelerator staff of iThemba LABS for providing the proton beam. This work was financially supported by the Hungarian Research Foundation (OTKA K60223) and the National Research Foundation in South Africa (UID 62122) under a bilateral S&T agreement between Hungary and South Africa.
- 1.Firestone RB, Ekström LP (2004) WWW table of radioactive isotopes, version 2.1, January 2004. http://ie.lbl.gov/toi/index.asp
- 3.Tárkányi F, Takács S, Szelecsényi F, Ditrói F, Hermanne A, Sonck M (2006) Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res B252:160Google Scholar
- 4.Tárkányi F, Hermanne A, Takács S, Ditrói F, Kovalev F, Ignatyuk AV (2007) Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res B264:389Google Scholar
- 5.Tárkányi F, Takács S, Szelecsényi F, Ditrói F, Hermanne A, Sonck M (2003) Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res B211:319Google Scholar
- 6.Pritychenko B, Sonzogni A Q-value calculator. http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/qcalc/
- 10.Chakrabarty S, Tomar BS, Goswami A, Raman VA, Manohar SB (2001) Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res B174:212Google Scholar
- 11.Szelecsényi F, Steyn GF, Kovács Z, Vermeulen C, van der Meulen NP, Dolley SG, van der Walt TN, Suzuki K, Mukai K (2005) Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res B240:625Google Scholar
- 12.Ziegler JF, Biersack JP SRIM-2006 version 2006.1. http://www.srim.org
- 13.Tárkányi F, Takács S, Gul K, Hermanne A, Mustafa MG, Nortier M, Oblozinsky P, Qaim SM, Scholten B, Shubin YN, Youxiang Z IAEA-TECDOC-1211, Vienna, Austria. http://www-nds.iaea.org/medical/
- 14.Guide for the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurements, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva 1993 (ISBN: 92-67-10188-9)Google Scholar