Halogen speciation in the rat thyroid: Simultaneous determination of bromine and iodine by short-term INAA
- 77 Downloads
The study describes a mode of non-destructive simultaneous determination of bromine and iodine concentrations, by reactor instrumental neutron activation analysis (INAA) in the regime of short-term activation. Under the conditions of 1-minute activation in the neutron flux of 8.0·1013 n·cm−2·s−1, it was possible to determine reliably as little as 5·10−8 g bromine and about 10−7 g iodine in matrices of a given type and of the mass of about 5 mg dry weight. We applied this method for the determination of Br and I concentrations in the whole rat thyroid gland as well as for the halogen speciation in fractions separated from this organ.
KeywordsIodine Bromine Instrumental Neutron Activation Analysis Iodine Concentration Thyronines
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Pavelka, Bromine (Chapter 9.3), in: Elements and their Compounds in the Environment, Vol. 3, E. Merian, M. Anke, M. Ihnat, M. Stoeppler (Eds), 2nd ed., Wiley-VCH Verlag, Weinheim, 2004, p. 1445.Google Scholar
- 2.S. Pavelka, Physiol. Res., 53(Suppl. 1) (2004) S81.Google Scholar
- 3.F. X. R. Van Leeuwen, R. Hanemaaijer, J. G. Loeber, Arch. Toxicol., 12(Suppl.) (1988) 93.Google Scholar
- 4.W. Buchberger, W. Holler, K. Winsauer, J. Trace Elem. Electrolytes Health Dis., 4 (1990) 25.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Pavelka, A. Babický, M. Vobecký, in: Mengen-und Spurenelemente, M. Anke et al. (Eds), Schubert-Verlag, Leipzig, 2000, p. 196.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Vobecký, A. Babický, S. Pavelka, J. Lener, J. Trace Microprobe Techn., 18 (2000) 467.Google Scholar
- 8.G. V. Iyengar, W. E. Kollmer, H. J. M. Bowen, The Elemental Composition of Human Tissues and Body Fluids, Verlag Chemie, Weinheim, New York, 1978, p. 113.Google Scholar