Synthesis, characterization, and morphology study of coco peat-grafted-poly(acrylic acid)/NPK slow release fertilizer hydrogel
- 105 Downloads
Coco peat-grafted-poly(acrylic acid)/NPK [CP-g-P(AAc)/NPK] slow release fertilizer hydrogel (SRFH) was prepared by grafting coco peat fiber onto acrylic acid in the presence of NPK 15–15-15 fertilizer using in-situ solution polymerization technique. Commercial super absorbance polymer (CSAP) was used to compare the properties of SRFH. The hydrogels were characterized by fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy (UV-Vis). The grafting reaction is approved by the disappearance of peak at 973 cm−1 of FTIR spectrum. DSC results revealed that SRFH had high glass transition temperature, Tg compared to CSAP. SEM images showed that SRFH had low porosity and compact structure than CSAP. Fertilizer release study showed that the amount of nutrient release is greatly improved by SRFH.
KeywordsCoco peat Grafting Hydrogel Fertilizer Acrylic acid Crosslinked
The author would like to thank to Ministry of Education Malaysia (PRGS/1/2019/TK10/UMP/02/2) and Universiti Malaysia Pahang (RDU190807) for the financial support.
- 4.Ramezani M, Jafari M, Tavili A, Javadi SA, Amiri QZ (2013) The effect of calcium and sodium chloride levels on the dehydration power of hydrophilic polymer. J Food Agric Environ 11:896–898Google Scholar
- 7.Laftah WA (2013) Preparation and characterization of biodegradable Polyacrylic acid based hydrogel for agricultural application. Universiti Teknologi MalaysiaGoogle Scholar
- 19.Liang R, Yuan H, Xi G, Zhou Q (2009) Synthesis of wheat straw-g-poly(acrylic acid) superabsorbent composites and release of urea from it. Carbohydrate Polymers:1–7. doi:10.1016Google Scholar
- 22.Shaviv A (2000) Advances in controlled release of fertilizers. Adv Agron 71:79Google Scholar
- 26.Ramli RA, Hashim S, Laftah WA (2013) Synthesis, characterization, and morphology study of poly (acrylamide-co-acrylic acid)-grafted-poly (styrene-co-methyl methacrylate)“raspberry”-shape like structure microgels by pre-emulsified semi-batch emulsion polymerization. J Colloid Interface Sci 391:86–94CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Fan M, Dai D, Huang B (2012) Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy for natural fibres. In: Fourier transform-materials analysis. InTech,Google Scholar
- 35.Laftah WA, Hashim S Preparation and possible agricultural applications of polymer hydrogel composite as soil conditioner. In: Advanced Materials Research, 2013. Trans Tech Publ, pp 6–10Google Scholar