Nanocomposites of polyethylene and ternary (Mg + Zn/Al) layered double hydroxide modified with an organic UV absorber
- 70 Downloads
In this research work, ternary (Mg + Zn:Al; M2+:M3+ = 2:1) layered double hydroxides (LDH) intercalated with nitrate and p-aminobenzoate anions were synthesized through the coprecipitation method at constant alkaline pH. These materials were characterized by several instrumental techniques and used as functional fillers in low-density polyethylene (LDPE), obtaining homogeneous nanocomposites by means of injection molding. In the samples prepared with percentages of 0.5, 2, 4, 6 and 10% by weight in relation to LDPE, maintenance or slight improvement of the mechanical properties was observed for all samples. In the LDPE nanocomposites the UV absorption showed to be higher than neat polyethylene. Weathering experiments performed with the neat LDPE and LDPE nanocomposites containing 5% of maleic anhydride and 5% of LDH intercalated with paminobenzoate demonstrated a decrease of oxidation product generated due to ultraviolet radiation absorption because the organic intercalated specie, indicating that the ternary LDH is a potential filler to protect polymers from UV radiation degradation.
KeywordsTernary layered hydroxide P-aminobenzoate Intercalation Ultraviolet absorption Low-density polyethylene
This study was financed in part by the Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior - Brasil (CAPES) - Finance Code 001, CNPq (Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Cientifico e Tecnológico - Projects 303846/2014-3, 400117/2016-9) and FINEP (Financiadora de estudos e projetos). We also acknowledge Braskem for donating the LDPE, Prof. Marco Tadeu Grassi for the ICP-EOS analysis and Prof. Andreas Leuteritz of the Leibniz-Institut für Polymerforschung, Dresden, Germany, where part of this work was developed. NAGG also thanks CAPES for the PhD scholarships.
- 4.Kamweru KP, Ndiritu GF, Kinyanjui T, Muthui WZ, Ngumbu GR, Odhiambo MP (2014) UV absorption and dynamic mechanical analysis of polyethylene films. Int J Phys Sci 9(24):545–555Google Scholar
- 9.Wang Q, O’Hare D (2012) Recent advances in the synthesis and application of layered double hydroxide (LDH) Nanosheets. ACS Chem Rev 112(7):4124–4155Google Scholar
- 14.Roto R, Iqmal T, Mustofa M (2007) Zn-Al layered double hydroxide as host material for sunscreen compound of p-aminobenzoic acid. Indo J Chem 7:1):1–1):4Google Scholar
- 15.Zimmermann A, Jaerger S, Faria ZS, Wypych F (2013) Synthetic zinc layered hydroxide salts intercalated with anionic azo dyes as fillers into high-density polyethylene composites: first insights. J Polym Res 20(224):1–11Google Scholar
- 17.Gainar A, Suljoti E, Golnak R, Schroeder SLM (2016) The structure of p-aminobenzoic acid in water: studies combining UV-vis, NEXAFS and RIXS spectroscopies. J Phys Conf Ser 716:1–4Google Scholar