Dual responsive spiropyran-ended poly(N-vinyl caprolactam) for reversible complexation with metal ions
- 23 Downloads
With the spiropyran-containing compound as the initiator, dual responsive spiropyran-ended poly(N-vinyl caprolactam) (SP-PNVCL) was synthesized by atom transfer radical polymerization. The structure of the resulting polymer was characterized by 1H NMR and gel permeation chromatography, and the polymer had both reversible light-responsive and thermo-sensitive behaviors. Metal ions could be bound between merocyanine formed by photoisomerization of spiropyran and the amino group of N-vinyl caprolactam unit through synergetic coordination. The complexation of SP-PNVCL with several metal ions was investigated by UV-Vis absorption spectroscopy, and it was found that SP-PNVCL might be used as a potential recognition probe for Fe2+, accompanied by obvious color change from colorless to brown by naked eye. The detection limit and photo-reversible recyclable behaviors of SP-PNVCL for Fe2+ were also investigated in details. The kind of spiropyran-ended poly(N-vinyl caprolactam) had great application potential in environment protection and biological area.
KeywordsN-vinyl caprolactam Spiropyran Dual responsive Complexation Metal ions
This work was financially supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 21376271) and the Hunan Provincial Science and Technology Plan Project, China (Grant No. 2016TP1007). Hui Liu also thanked for the help in testing from Advanced Research Center, Central South University.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no competing financial interest.
- 7.Urek SK, Francic N, Turel M, Lobnik A (2013) Sensing heavy metals using mesoporous-based optical chemical sensors. J Nanomater:501320Google Scholar
- 11.Otsuki J, Akasaka T, Araki K Molecular switches for electron and energy transfer processes based on metal complexes. Coordin. Chem. Rev 252:32–56Google Scholar
- 12.Wang F, Tang JT, Liu H, Yu GP, Zou YP (2019) Self-assembled polymeric micelles as amphiphilic particulate emulsifiers for controllable Pickering emulsions. Mater Chem Front 3:356–364Google Scholar
- 21.Suzuki T, Kawata Y, Kahata S, Kato T (2003) Photo-reversible Pb2+-complexation of insoluble poly(spiropyran methacrylate-co-perfluorohydroxy methacrylate) in polar solvents. Chem Commun (16):2004–2005Google Scholar
- 23.Fries K, Samanta S, Orski S, Locklin J (2008) Reversible colorimetric ion sensors based on surface initiated polymerization of photochromic polymers. Chem Commun (47):6288–6290Google Scholar
- 36.Zakharova MI, Coudret C, Pimienta V, Micheau JC, Sliwa M, Poizat O, Buntinx G, Delbaere S, Vermeersch G, Metelitsa AV, Voloshin N, Minkin VI (2011) Kinetic modelling of the photochromism and metal complexation of a spiropyran dye: application to the co(II)-spiroindoline-diphenyloxazolebenzopyran system. Dyes Pigments 89:324–329CrossRefGoogle Scholar