GO nanosheets localization by morphological study on PLA-GO electrospun nanocomposite nanofibers
In this study we prepare a nanocomposite substrate from poly lactic acid (PLA) and graphene oxide (GO) using electrospinning. Determining the possible placement of graphene oxide nano-sheets in the electrospun fiber mats is the main goal of this work. The investigative methods employed include scanning electron microscopy (SEM), atomic force microscopy (AFM) micrographs, tensile modulus and attenuated total reflectance Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (ATR-FTIR). It is shown that the localization of nanoparticle by different methods controls different final properties. We performed the study of the mechanical properties, surface chemical structure and topology of obtaining nanofiber mats. Studies showed that the location of GO sheets depends on the lateral size of them and based on this claim we estimated three possible locations for them: (1) small GO sheets (less than 200 nm) fully or partially inside the electrospun fibers, (2) some larger ones rolling around and on the fibers surface under the high applied voltage, and (3) parts of large sheets bridging between the fibers.
KeywordsGraphene oxide Ploy lactic acid Electrospinning process Nano-sheets localization Nanocomposite nanofibers Surface chemical structure
This research did not receive any grants from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
- 5.Khan N (2012) Applications of electrospun nanofibers in the biomedical field. Studies by Undergraduate Researchers at Guelph 5(2):63–73Google Scholar
- 6.Threepopnatkul P et al (2010) Mechanical and antibacterial properties of electrospun PLA/PEG mats. Journal of Metals, Materials and Minerals 20(3):185–187Google Scholar
- 10.Müller K, Bugnicourt E, Latorre M, Jorda M, Echegoyen Sanz Y, Lagaron J, Miesbauer O, Bianchin A, Hankin S, Bölz U, Pérez G, Jesdinszki M, Lindner M, Scheuerer Z, Castelló S, Schmid M (2017) Review on the processing and properties of polymer nanocomposites and nanocoatings and their applications in the packaging, automotive and solar energy fields. Nanomaterials 7(4):74CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 16.Shahriary L, Athawale AA (2014) Graphene oxide synthesized by using modified hummers approach. Int J Renew Energy Environ Eng 2(01):58–63Google Scholar
- 18.Wang M et al (2017) Progress in toughening poly (lactic acid) with renewable polymers. Polym Rev:1–37Google Scholar