Best Finite Approximations of Benford’s Law
- 67 Downloads
For arbitrary Borel probability measures with compact support on the real line, characterizations are established of the best finitely supported approximations, relative to three familiar probability metrics (Lévy, Kantorovich, and Kolmogorov), given any number of atoms, and allowing for additional constraints regarding weights or positions of atoms. As an application, best (constrained or unconstrained) approximations are identified for Benford’s Law (logarithmic distribution of significands) and other familiar distributions. The results complement and extend known facts in the literature; they also provide new rigorous benchmarks against which to evaluate empirical observations regarding Benford’s law.
KeywordsBenford’s law Best uniform approximation Asymptotically best approximation Lévy distance Kantorovich distance Kolmogorov distance
Mathematics Subject Classification (2010)60B10 60E15 62E15
The first author was partially supported by an Nserc Discovery Grant. Both authors gratefully acknowledge helpful suggestions made by F. Dai, B. Han, T.P. Hill, and an anonymous referee.
- 6.Berger, A., Hill, T.P., Rogers, E.: Benford Online Bibliography. http://www.benfordonline.net (2009). Accessed 16 March 2018
- 7.Berger, A., Twelves, I.: On the significands of uniform random variables, to appear in: J. Appl. Probab. (2018)Google Scholar
- 8.Bloch, I., Atif, J.: Defining and computing Hausdorff distances between distributions on the real line and on the circle: link between optimal transport and morphological dilations. Math. Morphol. Theory Appl. 1, 79–99 (2016)Google Scholar
- 20.Knuth, D.E.: The Art of Computer Programming. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1975)Google Scholar
- 24.Pflug, G.C., Pichler, A.: Approximations for probability distributions and stochastic optimization problems, Int. Ser. Oper. Res. Manage. Sci. 1633, Springer, New York, 343–387 (2011)Google Scholar
- 27.Rachev, S.T., Klebanov, L.B., Stoyanov, S.V., Fabozzi, F.J.: A structural classification of probability distances. In: The Methods of Distances in the Theory of Probability and Statistics. Springer, New York (2013)Google Scholar
- 30.Xu, C., Berger, A.: Best finite constrained approximations of one-dimensional probabilities, preprint (2017). arXiv:1704.07871