Influence of a Flexible Coating on the Strength of a Shallow Cylindrical Shell with Longitudinal Crack
- 4 Downloads
We study the problem of tension of a cylindrical shell containing a longitudinal crack and strengthened by a coating. The flexible coating is modeled by a hinge connecting the faces of a notch on one face of the shell. We determine the stressed state near the crack tips and analyze the distribution of the hinge reaction in the coating. The limit equilibrium of the shell weakened by a crack is analyzed with regard for the limited strength of the reinforcement.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.V. V. Panasyuk, M. P. Savruk, and A. P. Datsyshin, Stress Distribution near Cracks in Plates and Shells [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.M. P. Savruk, Two-Dimensional Problems of Elasticity for Bodies with Cracks [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1988).Google Scholar
- 4.V. K. Khizhnyak and V. P. Shevchenko, Mixed Problems of the Theory of Plates and Shells: A Tutorial [in Russian], Donetsk State University, Donetsk (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.I. P. Shatskii, “Crack problem for a shallow shell with a flexible coating,” Prikl. Mekh. Tekh. Fiz., 37, No. 2, 131–138 (1996); English translation: J. Appl. Mech. Tech. Phys., 37, No. 2, 259–265 (1996).Google Scholar
- 6.I. P. Shatskii, “Tension of a plate containing a rectilinear cut with hinged rims,” Zh. Prikl. Mekh. Tekh. Fiz., 30, No. 5, 163–165 (1989); English translation: J. Appl. Mech. Tech. Phys., 30, No. 5, 828–830 (1989).Google Scholar
- 7.I. P. Shats’kyi, “Integral equation of the problem of crack in a shallow shell with flexible coating,” Dop. Akad. Nauk Ukr., No. 1, 46–48 (1992).Google Scholar
- 8.I. P. Shats’kyi, M. V. Makoviichuk, and A. B. Shcherbii, “Influence of a flexible coating on the strength of a shallow cylindrical shell with transverse crack,” Probl. Obchysl. Mekh. Mitsn. Konstr., Issue 24, 248–257 (2015).Google Scholar
- 9.I. P. Shats’kyi and A. B. Shcherbii, “Influence of a flexible coating on the strength of a shallow shell containing a crack along the curvature line,” in: V. V. Panasyuk (editor), Fracture Mechanics of Materials and Strength of Structures, Vol. 2: Analytic Methods in the Fracture Mechanics of Materials [in Ukrainian], Kamenyar, Lviv (1999), pp. 333–335.Google Scholar
- 10.I. Shats’kyi, “Model of a crack in a plate with flexible coating,” Visn. L’viv. Univ. Ser. Mekh.-Mat., Issue 57, 42–47 (2000).Google Scholar
- 12.F. Erdogan and J. J. Kibler, “Cylindrical and spherical shells with cracks,” Int. J. Fract. Mech., 5, No. 3, 229–237 (1969).Google Scholar
- 13.E. S. Folias, “Failure of pressurized vessels,” in: G. P. Cherepanov (editor), Fracture: A Topical Encyclopedia of Current Knowledge, Krieger Publ., Malabar (1998), pp. 275–288.Google Scholar