Typicality of Chaotic Fractal Behavior of Integral Vortices in Hamiltonian Systems with Discontinuous Right Hand Side
- 28 Downloads
In this paper, we consider linear-quadratic deterministic optimal control problems where the controls take values in a two-dimensional simplex. The phase portrait of the optimal synthesis contains second-order singular extremals and exhibits modes of infinite accumulations of switchings in a finite time, so-called chattering. We prove the presence of an entirely new phenomenon, namely, the chaotic behavior of bounded pieces of optimal trajectories. We find the hyperbolic domains in the neighborhood of a homoclinic point and estimate the corresponding contraction-extension coefficients. This gives us a possibility of calculating the entropy and the Hausdorff dimension of the nonwandering set, which appears to have a Cantor-like structure as in Smale’s horseshoe. The dynamics of the system is described by a topological Markov chain. In the second part it is shown that this behavior is generic for piecewise smooth Hamiltonian systems in the vicinity of a junction of three discontinuity hyper-surface strata.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.V. I. Arnold, Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics, Springer-Verlag, New York (1991).Google Scholar
- 6.K. Falconer, Fractal Geometry, Math. Found. Appl., Wiley, Chichester (2003).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Katok and B. Hasselblatt Introduction to the Modern Theory of Dynamical Systems, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge (1996).Google Scholar
- 11.H. J. Kelley, R. E. Kopp, and H. G. Moyer, “Singular extremals,” in: Topics in Optimization, Academic Press, New York (1967), pp. 63–101.Google Scholar
- 13.I. Kupka, “Fuller’s phenomena,” in: Progress in Systems Control Theory, Birkhäuser, Boston (1990), pp. 129–142.Google Scholar
- 22.A. A. Milyutin, A. E. Iliutovich, N. P. Osmolovkii, and S. V. Chukanov, Optimal Control in Linear Systems [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1993).Google Scholar
- 23.L. S. Pontryagin, V. G. Boltyanski, R. V. Gamkrelidze, and E. F. Mishechenko, The Mathematical Theory of Optimal Processes, Wiley-Interscience, New York–London (1962).Google Scholar
- 24.O. Zariski and P. Samuel, Commutative Algebra, Vol. 1, Springer-Verlag (1975).Google Scholar
- 26.M. I. Zelikin and V. F. Borisov, Theory of Chattering Control with Applications to Astronautics, Robotics, Economics, and Engineering, Birkhäuser, Boston (1994).Google Scholar