Nonlinear Chance Constrained Problems: Optimality Conditions, Regularization and Solvers
We deal with chance constrained problems with differentiable nonlinear random functions and discrete distribution. We allow nonconvex functions both in the constraints and in the objective. We reformulate the problem as a mixed-integer nonlinear program and relax the integer variables into continuous ones. We approach the relaxed problem as a mathematical problem with complementarity constraints and regularize it by enlarging the set of feasible solutions. For all considered problems, we derive necessary optimality conditions based on Fréchet objects corresponding to strong stationarity. We discuss relations between stationary points and minima. We propose two iterative algorithms for finding a stationary point of the original problem. The first is based on the relaxed reformulation, while the second one employs its regularized version. Under validity of a constraint qualification, we show that the stationary points of the regularized problem converge to a stationary point of the relaxed reformulation and under additional condition it is even a stationary point of the original problem. We conclude the paper by a numerical example.
KeywordsChance constrained programming Optimality conditions Regularization Algorithms Free MATLAB codes
Mathematics Subject Classification90C15 90C26 49M05
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support from the Grant Agency of the Czech Republic under Project 15-00735S.
- 13.Van Ackooij, W., Berge, V., De Oliveira, W., Sagastizabal, C.: Probabilistic optimization via approximate p-efficient points and bundle methods. Working Paper (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.Lejeune, M.A., Margot, F.: Solving chance-constrained optimization problems with stochastic quadratic inequalities. Tepper Working Paper E8 (2014)Google Scholar
- 18.Prékopa, A.: Probabilistic programming. In: Ruszczyński, A., Shapiro, A. (eds.) Stochastic Programming, Handbooks in Operations Research and Management Science, vol. 10, pp. 267–351. Elsevier, Amsterdam (2003)Google Scholar
- 29.Burdakov, O., Kanzow, C., Schwartz, A.: On a reformulation of mathematical programs with cardinality constraints. In: Gao, D., Ruan, N., Xing, W. (eds.) Advances in Global Optimization, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics, vol. 95, pp. 3–14. Springer International Publishing, Berlin (2015)Google Scholar
- 30.Červinka, M., Kanzow, C., Schwartz, A.: Constraint qualifications and optimality conditions for optimization problems with cardinality constraints. Math. Program. (2016). doi: 10.1007/s10107-016-0986-6