Sequential Semidefinite Program for Maximum Robustness Design of Structures under Load Uncertainty
- 175 Downloads
A robust structural optimization scheme as well as an optimization algorithm are presented based on the robustness function. Under the uncertainties of the external forces based on the info-gap model, the maximization of the robustness function is formulated as an optimization problem with infinitely many constraints. By using the quadratic embedding technique of uncertainty and the S-procedure, we reformulate the problem into a nonlinear semidefinite programming problem. A sequential semidefinite programming method is proposed which has a global convergent property. It is shown through numerical examples that optimum designs of various linear elastic structures can be found without difficulty.
KeywordsRobust optimization info-gap model semidefinite programs structural optimization successive linearization methods
- 14.KANNO, Y., and TAKEWAKI, I., Robustness Analysis of Trusses with Separable Load and Structural Uncertainties, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 43, pp. 2646–2669, 2006.Google Scholar
- 15.WOLKOWICZ, H., SAIGAL, R., and VANDENBERGHE, L., Editors, Handbook of Semidefinite Programming: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Netherlands, 2000.Google Scholar
- 16.JARRE, F., Some Aspects of Nonlinear Semidefinite Programming, System Modeling and Optimization: 20th IFIP Conference on System Modeling and Optimization, Edited by E. W. Sachs and R. Tichatschke, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Netherlands, pp. 55–69, 2003.Google Scholar
- 21.BEN-TAL, A., and NEMIROVSKI, A., Lectures on Modern Convex Optimization: Analysis, Algorithms, and Engineering Applications, SIAM, Philadelphia, Pennysylvania, 2001.Google Scholar
- 24.STURM, J. F., Using SeDuMi 1.02, a MATLAB Toolbox for Optimization over Symmetric Cones, Optimization Methods and Software, Vol. 11/12, pp. 625–653, 1999.Google Scholar
- 25.THE MATH WORKS, Using MATLAB, The Math Works, Natick, Massachusetts, 2002.Google Scholar
- 26.KANNO, Y., and TAKEWAKI, I., Sequential Semidefinite Program for Maximum Robustness Design of Structures under Load Uncertainties, Kyoto University, BGE Research Report 04–05, 2004 (revised 2005); available at http://www.archi.kyoto-u.ac.jp/∼bge/RR/.