Educational Reform at MIT: Advancing and Evaluating Technology-Based Projects On- and Off-Campus
- 141 Downloads
This issue is the first of two special issues that present a diverse collection of studies which describe and discuss innovative approaches to science and technology teaching and learning at MIT. This issue focuses on advancing and evaluating technology-based projects on-campus, while the second one will focus mainly on off-campus technology-based projects.
Keywordseducational reform educational technology assessment and evaluation technology-based projects
I would like to express my gratitude to all the contributors to this special issue, my MIT colleagues, as well as Joel Mintzes who read and critiqued the articles, and to Karen Cohen for her support and encouragement.
- Barak, M., Harward, J., Kocur, G., and Lerman, S. (2007). Transforming an introductory programming course: From lectures to active learning via wireless laptops. Journal of Science Education and Technology 16(4). doi: 10.1007/s10956-007-9055-5.Google Scholar
- Breslow, L. (2007). Lessons learned: Findings from MIT initiatives in educational technology (2000–2005). Journal of Science Education and Technology 16(4) (this issue).Google Scholar
- Birenbaum, M., Breuer, K., Cascallar, E., Dochy, F., Dori, Y. J., Ridgway, J., and Wiesemes, R. (2006). A learning integrated assessment system. In: EARLI Series of Position Papers. R. Wiesemes, G. Nickmans A. (Eds.), Educational Research Review 1(1): 61–67.Google Scholar
- Dori, Y. J., Hult, E., Breslow, L., and Belcher, J. W. (2007). How much have they retained? Making unseen concepts seen in a freshman electromagnetism course at MIT. Journal of Science Education and Technology 16(4). doi: 10.1007/s10956-007-9051-9.Google Scholar
- Fischer, J., Mitchell, R., and del Alamo, J. (2007). Inquiry–learning with WebLab: Undergraduate attitudes and experiences. Journal of Science Education and Technology 16.Google Scholar
- Gilbert J. K. (Ed.) (2005). Visualization in science education. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer.Google Scholar
- Lipson, A., Epstein, A. W., Bras, R., and Hodges, K. (2007). Students’ perceptions of Terrascope: A project-based freshman learning community. Journal of Science Education and Technology 16(4) (this issue).Google Scholar
- Mintzes J. J., Leonard W. H. (Eds.) (2006). Handbook of college science teaching: Theory, research and practice. Arlington, VA, USA: NSTA Press.Google Scholar
- Sunal D. W., Wright E. L., Bland Day J. (Eds.) (2004). Reform in undergraduate science teaching for the 21st century. Greenwich, CT, USA: Information Age Publishing.Google Scholar