Copolymers at Selective Interfaces: New Bounds on the Phase Diagram
We investigate the phase diagram of disordered copolymers at the interface between two selective solvents, and in particular its weak-coupling behavior, encoded in the slope m c of the critical line at the origin. We focus on the directed walk case, which has turned out to be, in spite of the apparent simplicity, extremely challenging. In mathematical terms, the partition function of such a model does not depend on all the details of the Markov chain that models the polymer, but only on the time elapsed between successive returns to zero and on whether the walk is in the upper or lower half plane between such returns. This observation leads to a natural generalization of the model, in terms of arbitrary laws of return times: the most interesting case being the one of return times with power law tails (with exponent 1+α, α=1/2 in the case of the symmetric random walk). The main results we present here are:
the improvement of the known result 1/(1+α)≤m c ≤1, as soon as α>1 for what concerns the upper bound, and down to α≈0.65 for the lower bound.
a proof of the fact that the critical curve lies strictly below the critical curve of the annealed model for every non-zero value of the coupling parameter.
KeywordsDirected polymers Disorder Copolymers at selective interfaces Rare-stretch strategies Fractional moment estimates
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bolthausen, E., Caravenna, F., de Tilière, B.: The quenched critical point of a diluted disordered polymer model. arXiv:0711.0141 [math.PR]
- 6.Bolthausen, E., den Hollander, F.: Private communication Google Scholar
- 10.Den Hollander, F., Pétrélis, N.: On the localized phase of a copolymer in an emulsion: supercritical percolation regime. Preprint, arXiv:0709:1659 (2007)
- 11.Derrida, B., Giacomin, G., Lacoin, H., Toninelli, F.L.: Fractional moment bounds and disorder relevance for pinning models. arXiv:0712.2515 [math.PR]
- 16.Giacomin, G., Lacoin, H., Toninelli, F.L.: Hierarchical pinning models, quadratic maps and quenched disorder. arXiv:0711.4649 [math.PR]
- 23.Monthus, C., Garel, T.: Delocalization transition of the selective interface model: distribution of pseudo-critical temperatures, J. Stat. Mech., P12011 (2005) Google Scholar
- 27.Toninelli, F.L.: Disordered pinning models and copolymers: beyond annealed bounds. Ann. Appl. Probab. (to appear). arXiv:0709.1629v1 [math.PR]