Weak Noise Approach to the Logistic Map
- 75 Downloads
Using a nonperturbative weak noise approach we investigate the interference of noise and chaos in simple 1D maps. We replace the noise-driven 1D map by an area-preserving 2D map modelling the Poincare sections of a conserved dynamical system with unbounded energy manifolds. We analyze the properties of the 2D map and draw conclusions concerning the interference of noise on the nonlinear time evolution. We apply this technique to the standard period-doubling sequence in the logistic map. From the 2D area-preserving analogue we, in addition to the usual period-doubling sequence, obtain a series of period doubled cycles which are elliptic in nature. These cycles are spinning off the real axis at parameters values corresponding to the standard period doubling events.
KeywordsWeak noise random maps Hamiltonian systems elliptic fixed points period doubling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Graham, Noise in nonlinear dynamical systems, Vol. 1, in Theory of Continuous Fokker-Planck Systems, F. Moss and P. E. V. McClintock, eds. (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1989).Google Scholar
- Noise in Nonlinear Dynamical Systems, F. Moss and P. V. E. McClintock, eds., (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1989).Google Scholar
- Collet, P., Eckmann, J. P. 1980Iterated Maps on the Interval as Dynamical SystemBirkhauserBostonGoogle Scholar
- Reimann, P., Talkner, P. 1991Hel. Phys. Acta64946Google Scholar
- H. G. Schuster, Deterministic Chaos, An Introduction, 2nd ed. (VCH Verlagsgesellschaft mbH, Weinheim, 1989).Google Scholar
- Strogatz, S. H. 1994Nonlinear Dynamics and ChaosPerseus BooksReadingGoogle Scholar
- vanKampen, N. G. 1992Stochastic Processes in Physics and ChemistryNorth-HollandAmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Landau, L., Lifshitz, E. 1959Quantum MechanicsPergamon PressOxfordGoogle Scholar
- Reichl, L. E. 1987The Transition to ChaosSpringer-VerlagNew YorkGoogle Scholar