Solvation of Cobalt(II) Ion in N,N-Dimethylformamide–Methanol Mixed Solvent: Calorimetry and VIS Spectroscopy Studies
- 131 Downloads
The enthalpies of solution of Co(II) and Na(I) trifluoromethanesulfonates (triflates) in N,N-dimethylformamide (DMF)–methanol (MeOH) mixtures have been measured over the whole range of solvent composition. From these data the enthalpies of transfer of Co(II) and triflate ions from methanol to the mixed solvent have been determined usingliterature values of the enthalpies of transfer of the Na+ ion. The results have been analyzed by means of the theory of preferential solvation. The analysis revealed the preference of DMF for solvating the Co(II) ion in the MeOH-rich region of solvent composition and the lack of preference of any component in the DMF-rich region. Visible absorption spectra of the Co(II) ion in DMF–MeOH mixtures have been also measured in the whole range of solvent composition and analyzed using the partial least-squares method. The mean composition of the solvation sphere of the Co(II) ion versus solvent composition has been determined on the basis of both analyses. The results were found to be consistent with each other and with those obtained previously from FT-IR spectra.
Key WordsCobalt(II) ion DMF–MeOH mixtures Preferential solvation Enthalpies of transfer Visible spectra
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Waghorne, W.E.: Thermodynamics of solvation in mixed solvents. Chem. Soc. Rev. 285–292 (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Feakins, D., Mullally, J., Waghorne, W.E.: Enthalpies of transfer of tetrabutylammonium bromide as indicators of the structure of aqueous solvents: Aqueous methanol, ethanol, propan-1-ol, 2-methylpropan-2-ol and 1,4-dioxane systems. J. Chem. Soc., Faraday Trans. 87, 87–91 (1991)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kamieńska-Piotrowicz, E., Stangret, J., Szymańska-Cybulska, J.: Solvation of cobalt(II) and trifluoromethanesulfonate ions in N,N-dimethylformamide-methanol mixed solvent studied by means of FT-IR spectroscopy. Spectrochim. Acta, Part A, in pressGoogle Scholar
- 8.Kamieńska-Piotrowicz, E., Inerowicz, H.: Solvation of cobalt(II), trifluoromethanesulfonate and perchlorate ions in acetonitrile-methanol mixtures. Z. Phys. Chem. 199, 37–47 (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Lide, D.R. (Ed.): Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, CRC, Boca Raton, (1996–1997), pp. 6-115–6-127Google Scholar