A solution approach based on Benders decomposition for the preventive maintenance scheduling problem of a stochastic large-scale energy system
This paper describes a Benders decomposition-based framework for solving the large scale energy management problem that was posed for the ROADEF 2010 challenge. The problem was taken from the power industry and entailed scheduling the outage dates for a set of nuclear power plants, which need to be regularly taken down for refueling and maintenance, in such a way that the expected cost of meeting the power demand in a number of potential scenarios is minimized. We show that the problem structure naturally lends itself to Benders decomposition; however, not all constraints can be included in the mixed integer programming model. We present a two phase approach that first uses Benders decomposition to solve the linear programming relaxation of a relaxed version of the problem. In the second phase, integer solutions are enumerated and a procedure is applied to make them satisfy constraints not included in the relaxed problem. To cope with the size of the formulations arising in our approach we describe efficient preprocessing techniques to reduce the problem size and show how aggregation can be applied to each of the subproblems. Computational results on the test instances show that the procedure competes well on small instances of the problem, but runs into difficulty on larger ones. Unlike heuristic approaches, however, this methodology can be used to provide lower bounds on solution quality.
KeywordsPower Plant Nuclear Power Plant Shutdown Curve Master Problem Bender Decomposition
- Almakhlafi, A., & Knowles, J. (2012). Benchmarks for maintenance scheduling problems in power generation. In World congress on computational intelligence, June (pp. 10–15).Google Scholar
- Cabero, J., Ventosa, M. J., Cerisola, S., & Baíllo, Á. (2010). Modeling risk management in oligopolistic electricity markets: A Benders decomposition approach. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 25(1), 263–271.Google Scholar
- Contreras, I., Cordeau, J.-F., & Laporte, G. (2010). Benders decomposition for large scale uncapacitated hub location. Technical Report CIRRELT-2010-26, Interuniversity Research Centre on Enterprise Networks, Logistics, and Transportation.Google Scholar
- Darlay, J., Esperet, L., Kieffer, Y., Naves, G., & Weber, V. (2010). A functional programming approach for an energy planning problem. In EURO XXIV LISBON 24th European conference on operational research (p. 280).Google Scholar
- Dopazo, J. F., & Merrill, H. M. (1975). Optimal generator maintenance scheduling using integer programming. IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, 94(5), 1537–1545.Google Scholar
- Kjeldsen, N., Godskesen, S., Larsen, R., & Jensen, T. S. (2010). Constraint programming and local search for a large-scale energy management problem with varied constraints. In EURO XXIV LISBON 24th European conference on operational research (p. 219).Google Scholar
- Kralj, B., & Rajaković, N. (1994). Multiobjective programming in power system optimization: New approach to generator maintenance scheduling. Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 16(4), 211–220.Google Scholar
- Mohanta, D. K., Sadhu, P. K., & Chakrabarti, R. (2007). Deterministic and stochastic approach for safety and reliability optimization of captive power plant maintenance scheduling using GA/SA-based hybrid techniques: A comparison of results. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 92(2), 187–199.Google Scholar
- Morozowski, M., Fonseca, L., Oliveira, G., Melo, A., & Mello, J.C.O. (1995). Transmission constrained maintenance scheduling of generating units: A stochastic programming approach. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 10(2), 695–701.Google Scholar
- Porcheron, M., Gorge, A., Juan, O., Simovic, T., & Dereu, G. (2009). Challenge ROADEF/EURO 2010: A large-scale energy management problem with varied constraints. http://challenge.roadef.org/2010/files/sujetEDFv22.pdf.
- Reihani, E., Sarikhani, A., Davodi, M., & Davodi, M. (2012). Reliability based generator maintenance scheduling using hybrid evolutionary approach. Electric Power and Energy Systems, 42(1), 434–439.Google Scholar
- ROADEF Challenge. (2010). http://challenge.roadef.org/2010/.
- Santos, T. N., & Diniz, A. L. (2009). Feasibility and optimality cuts for the multi-stage Benders decomposition approach: Application to the network constrained hydrothermal scheduling. In Power and Energy Society general meeting, 2009. PES ’09. IEEE.Google Scholar
- Saraiva, J. T., Pereira, M. L., Mendes, V. T., & Sousa, J. C. (2011). A simulated annealing based approach to solve the generator maintenance scheduling problem. Electric Power Systems Research, 81, 1283–1291.Google Scholar
- Da Silva, E. L. (2000). Generation maintenance scheduling considering transmission constraints. Transactions on Power Systems, 15(2), 838–843.Google Scholar
- Soumis, F., Desaulniers, G., Gendreau, M., Rousseau, L.-M., Lessard, F., & Raymond, V. (2010). A mathematical-programming based solution approach for the EDF energy management problem. In EURO XXIV LISBON 24th European conference on operational research (p. 261).Google Scholar
- Steiner, R., Pirkwieser, S., & Prandtstetter, M. (2010). An ACO/VNS hybrid approach for a large-scale energy management problem. In EURO XXIV LISBON 24th European conference on operational research (p. 202).Google Scholar
- Tokola, H., Ahlroth, L., & Schumacher, A. (2010). A local search algorithm with a repair procedure for the ROADEF 2010 challenge. In EURO XXIV LISBON 24th European conference on operational research.Google Scholar
- Wolfler-Calvo, R., Létocart, L., Alfandri, L., Rozenkop, A., Chemla, D., & Turri, G. (2010). A column generation approach for scheduling nuclear power plants refueling. In EURO XXIV LISBON 24th European conference on operational research (p. 280).Google Scholar
- Yare, Y., & Venayagamoorthy, G. K. (2010). Optimal maintenance scheduling of generators using multiple swarms—MDPSO framework. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 23, 895–910. Google Scholar
- Yare, Y., Venayagamoorthy, G. K., & Aliyu, U. O. (2008). Optimal generator maintenance scheduling using a modified discrete PSO. IET Proceedings on Generation, Transmission and Distribution, 2(6), 834–846.Google Scholar