In this paper, we look at the online bounded-space bin cover problem and show how we can use the language of Markov chains to model and analyze the problem. We will use the insights given by the Markov chains to design an algorithm for the online bounded-space bin cover problem. The algorithm is a heuristic that we create by simplifying the Markov chain. We also show how we can use simple methods to improve the efficiency of the algorithm. Finally, we will analyze our algorithm and compare it to a well known online bin cover algorithm.
KeywordsBin cover Bounded-space Online Markov chains
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asgeirsson, E. I., & Stein, C. (2006). Using Markov chains to design algorithms for on-line bounded-space bin-cover. In Proceedings of the ACM-SIAM workshop on algorithm engineering and experiments (pp. 75–85). Google Scholar
- Coffman, E. G. Jr., & Lueker, G. S. (1991). An introduction to the probabilistic analysis of packing and partitioning algorithms. New York: Wiley. Google Scholar
- Coffman, E. G. Jr., Johnson, D. S., Shor, P. W., & Weber, R. R. (1993). Markov chains, computer proofs, and average-case analysis of best fit bin packing. In STOC ’93: Proceedings of the twenty-fifth annual ACM symposium on theory of computing (pp. 412–421). Google Scholar
- Csirik, J., Johnson, D. S., Kenyon, C., Shor, P. W., & Weber, R. R. (1999). A self organizing bin packing heuristic. In Proceedings of the workshop on algorithmic engineering and experimentation (ALENEX ’99) (pp. 246–265). Google Scholar
- Csirik, J., Johnson, D. S., Kenyon, C., Orlin, J. B., Shor, P. W., & Weber, R. R. (2000). On the sum-of-squares algorithm for bin packing. In Proceedings of the 32nd annual ACM symposium on theory of computing (pp. 208–217). Google Scholar
- Csirik, J., Johnson, D., & Kenyon, C. (2001). Better approximation algorithms for bin covering. In Proceedings of the 12th ACM-SIAM symposium on discrete algorithms (pp. 557–566). Google Scholar
- Jensson, P., Jonsson, M. T., & Runarsson, T. P. (1996). Dynamic dual bin packing using fuzzy objectives. In Proceedings of 1996 IEEE international conference on evolutionary computation (ICEC ’96) (pp. 219–222). Google Scholar
- Karmarkar, N., & Karp, R. (1982). An efficient approximation scheme for the one-dimensional bin-packing problem. In Proceedings of the 23rd annual symposium on foundations of computer science (pp. 312–320). Google Scholar
- Ross, S. M. (2000). Introduction to probability models. San Diego: Academic Press. Google Scholar