Preemption in single machine earliness/tardiness scheduling
We consider a single machine earliness/tardiness scheduling problem with general weights, ready times and due dates. Our solution approach is based on a time-indexed preemptive relaxation of the problem. For the objective function of this relaxation, we characterize cost coefficients that are the best among those with a piecewise linear structure with two segments. From the solution to the relaxation with these best objective function coefficients, we generate feasible solutions for the original non-preemptive problem. We report extensive computational results demonstrating the speed and effectiveness of this approach.
KeywordsSingle-machine scheduling Earliness Tardiness Preemption Transportation problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baker, K. R., & Scudder, G. D. (1990). Sequencing with earliness and tardiness penalties: a review. Operations Research, 38(1), 22–36. Google Scholar
- Bülbül, K. (2002). Just-in-time scheduling with inventory holding costs. PhD thesis, University of California at Berkeley. Google Scholar
- Garey, M., Tarjan, R., & Wilfong, G. (1988). One-processor scheduling with symmetric earliness and tardiness penalties. Mathematics of Operations Research, 13(2), 330–348. Google Scholar
- Gelders, L., & Kleindorfer, P. (1974). Coordinating aggregate and detailed scheduling decisions in the one-machine job shop, I: theory. Operations Research, 22(1), 46–60. Google Scholar
- Graham, R., Lawler, E., Lenstra, J., & Rinnooy Kan, A. (1979). Optimization and approximation in deterministic sequencing and scheduling: a survey. Annals of Discrete Mathematics, 5, 287–326. Google Scholar
- McNaughton, R. (1959). Scheduling with deadlines and loss functions. Management Science, 6(1), 1–12. Google Scholar
- Ovacik, I. M., & Uzsoy, R. (1997). Decomposition methods for complex factory scheduling problems. Boston: Kluwer Academic. Google Scholar
- Phillips, C., Stein, C., & Wein, J. (1998). Minimizing average completion time in the presence of release dates. Mathematical Programming, 82, 199–223. Google Scholar
- Verma, S., & Dessouky, M. (1998). Single-machine scheduling of unit-time jobs with earliness and tardiness penalties. Mathematics of Operations Research, 23(4), 930–943. Google Scholar