The SHARE European Earthquake Catalogue (SHEEC) for the time period 1900–2006 and its comparison to the European-Mediterranean Earthquake Catalogue (EMEC)
- 370 Downloads
This short communication describes the differences of the seismicity data file of the SHARE European Earthquake Catalogue from 1900 to 2006 in comparison to the European-Mediterranean Earthquake Catalogue by Grünthal and Wahlström (J Seismol 16:535–570, 2012). SHARE is the EC project Seismic Hazard Harmonization in Europe. Differences occur in the very north of the study area, in Greece and adjacent areas, and with respect to local volcanic earthquakes at Etna, Italy.
KeywordsEarthquake catalogue Europe Magnitude
The authors wish to thank M. Stucchi and H. Bungum for data and valuable comments. We are most grateful to the referees for their suggestions, which have improved the text. Thanks are also due to J. Wössner for implementing the data for further use in the project SHARE. The research leading to the externally provided data, which were added to the EMEC data file, or replaced EMEC data within the polygon “Greece”, was partially funded within the European Community’s Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007–2013) under grant agreement no. 226967. Financial support was provided by Aon Benfield for the catalogue related work at GFZ.
- CPTI Working Group (2004) Catalogo parametrico dei terrimoti italiani, versione 2004 (CPTI04). Ist Naz Geofis Vulc, Milan, Italy (http://emidius.mi.ingv.it/CPTI04/). Accessed 5 Feb 2012
- CPTI Working Group (2008) Catalogo parametrico dei terrimoti italiani, versione 2008 (CPTI08). Ist Naz Geofis Vulc, MilanGoogle Scholar
- IMO (2007a) Data file of large Icelandic earthquakes up to 1990. Icelandic Meteorological Office, Reykjavik, Iceland (http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/ymislegt/storskjalf.html). Accessed 7 Aug 2011
- IMO (2007b) Data file of Icelandic earthquakes with M L ≥ 3 from 1991 on. Icelandic Meteorological Office, Reykjavik, Iceland (http://hraun.vedur.is/cgi-bin/sellib). Accessed 7 Aug 2011
- Papazachos BC, Comninakis PE, Karakaisis GF, Karakostas BG, Papaioannou ChA, Papazachos CB, Scordilis EM (2003) A catalogue of earthquakes in Greece and surrounding area for the period 550BC–1999. In: Lee WHK, Kanamori H, Jennings PC, Kisslinger C (eds) International handbook of earthquake and engineering seismology, IASPEI, Part B, CD #3, Academic, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Papazachos BC, Comninakis PE, Scordilis EM, Karakaisis GF, Papazachos CB (2009) A catalogue of earthquakes in Greece and surrounding area for the period 1901–2008. Publication of the Geophysics Laboratory, University of Thessaloniki (http://geophysics.geo.auth.gr/ss/catalogs_en.html). Accessed 7 Aug 2011
- Stucchi M, Rovida A, Gomez Capera AA, Alexandre P, Camelbeeck T, Demircioglu MB, Gasperini P, Kouskouna V, Musson RMW, Radulian M, Sesetyan K, Vilanova S, Baumont D, Bungum H, Fäh D, Lenhardt W, Makropoulos K, Martinez Solares JM, Scotti O, Živčić M, Albini P, Battlo J, Papaioannou C, Tatevossian R, Locati M, Meletti C, Viganò D, Giardini D (2012) The SHARE European Earthquake Catalogue (SHEEC) 1000–1899. J Seismol. doi: 10.1007/s10950-012-9335-2 Google Scholar