Small-scale heterogeneities below the Lanzhou CTBTO seismic array, from seismic wave field fluctuations
- 76 Downloads
Seismic wave field fluctuations below Lanzhou Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization seismic array are determined and interpreted to describe the scattering characteristics of the crust beneath the northeastern margin of Qinghai–Tibet plateau in China. The frequency-dependent intensities of the mean and fluctuation wave fields are analyzed for 21 deep (206–632 km depth) teleseismic events. The observed wave field fluctuations in the frequency range 0.5–2.5 Hz can be explained by the scattering of the teleseismic P wave front at random media-type structures. The stable and narrow range of the fluctuation parameters from these teleseismic events indicates evidence for scattered seismic phases which are generated inside the crust. The reasonable structural models contain heterogeneities with 1–3% velocity fluctuations and 2.4–8.2 km correlation lengths in the crust with 53 km thickness.
KeywordsScattering Heterogeneity Lanzhou CTBTO seismic array
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bannister SC, Husebye ES, Ruud BO (1990) Teleseismic P-coda analyzed by three-component and array techniques: deterministic location of topographic P-to-Rg scattering near the NORESS array. Bull Seismol Soc Am 80:1969–1986Google Scholar
- Davies D, Kelly EJ, Filson JR (1971) Vespa process for the analysis of seismic signals. Nature Phys Sci 232:8–13Google Scholar
- Hock S (2003) Wellenstreuung in der Lithosphäre in Nord- und Mitteleuropa. Ph.D. thesis, Leipzig (D)Google Scholar
- Korn M (1997) Modelling the teleseismic P coda envelope; depth dependent scattering and deterministic structure, special issue: stochastic seismic wave fields and realistic media, Neustadt, Germany, 11–15 March 1996, Korn M, Sato H, Scherbaum F (guest eds). Phys Earth Planet Inter 104:23–36CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li SL, Zhang XK, Zhang CK, Zh JR, Chen SX (2002) A preliminary study on the crustal velocity structure of Maqin–Lanzhou–Jingbian by means of deep seismic sounding profile. Chin J Geophys 45(2):210–217Google Scholar
- Muirhead KJ, Datt R (1976) The Nth root process applied to seismic array data. Geophys J R Astron Soc 47:197–210Google Scholar
- Sato H, Fehler MC (1998) Seismic wave propagation and scattering in the heterogeneous earth. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Xu JS, Zhao YQ, Su XZ, Lv TY (2006) The site survey for Dajian Mountain seismic array in Lanzhou. Seismological and Geomagnetic Observation and Research 27(Suppl):51–57Google Scholar
- Zhou MD, Zhang YS, Shi YL, Zhang SX, Fang B (2006) Three-dimensional crustal velocity structure in the northeastern margin of the Qinghai–Tibetan plateau. Progress in Geophysics 21:127–134Google Scholar