Ensemble-Based Support Vector Regression with Gravitational Search Algorithm Optimization for Estimating Magnetic Relative Cooling Power of Manganite Refrigerant in Magnetic Refrigeration Application
- 18 Downloads
Magnetic refrigeration technology (MRT) is considered an energy-efficient and environmental-friendly system of refrigeration that has a considerable potential of replacing the classical gas-compression expansion method of refrigeration. Inclusion of manganite-based material (MBM) in MRT as a magnetic refrigerant has attracted significant attention recently due to cost effectiveness of the refrigerant as well as better resistance to oxidation and corrosion as compared to the commonly used metal gadolinium refrigerant. Relative cooling power (RCP) is one of the most important parameters to be considered while assessing the usefulness of MBM. Its value can be altered through doping with external materials and accurate estimation of the dopant influence is required to achieve the right amount of RCP. This present research work proposes support vector regression (SVR) ensemble models with gravitational search algorithm (GSA) hyper-parameters optimization, for estimating RCP of MBM and to determine the influence of dopants on RCP using ionic radii and dopant concentrations as descriptors. GSA-SVR ensemble model (GSE) is developed by employing the outputs of five different SVR models as descriptors while GSA-SVR ensemble model with averaging (GSEA) uses the average of the five different SVR models as its descriptor. The novel ensemble models outperform other SVR models, specifically; GSE performs better than GSA-SVR model and the conventional SVR model with performance improvement of 269.14% and 283.61%, respectively on the basis of root mean square error (RMSE). Furthermore, GSEA outperforms GSE, GSA-SVR model and conventional SVR with performance improvement of 27.51%, 370.70%, and 389.14%, respectively on the basis of RMSE. The developed GSE and GSEA also perform better than the existing RCP model in the literature with performance improvement of 11.53% and 42.21%, respectively. The results of this research work will not only serve to circumvent the experimental challenges of RCP measurement without loss of experimental precision but also further promotes environment-friendly system of refrigeration.
KeywordsMagnetic refrigeration Manganite-based materials Relative cooling power Support vector regression Ensemble model and gravitational search algorithm
Support from Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University is acknowledged.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest as this manuscript represents original research work.
- 1.Sahlot, M., Riffat, S.B.: Desiccant cooling systems: a review. Int. J. Low-Carbon Technol. 11(4), 489–505 (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.R. Ben Hassine, W. Cherif, J. A. Alonso, F. Mompean, M. T. Fernández-Díaz, and F. Elhalouani, “Enhanced relative cooling power of Fe-doped La0.67Sr0.22Ba0.11Mn1-xFexO3 perovskites: structural, magnetic and magnetocaloric properties”. J. Alloys Compd., vol. 649, no. 2015, pp. 996–1006, 2015CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.K. A. Gschneider Jr., V. K. Pecharsky, and A. O. Tsokol, “Recent developments in magnetocaloric materials”. Reports Prog. Phys., vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 1479–1539, 2005Google Scholar
- 8.A. Ezaami, E. Sellami-Jmal, I. Chaaba, W. Cheikhrouhou-Koubaa, A. Cheikhrouhou, and E. K. Hlil, “Effect of elaborating method on magnetocaloric properties of La0.7Ca0.2Ba0.1MnO3 manganite”. J. Alloys Compd., vol. 685, no. 2016, pp. 710–719, 2016Google Scholar
- 9.Tishin, A.M., Spichkin, Y.I.: The Magnetocaloric effect and its applications, Ist edn. IOP, Bristol (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.H. Omrani, M. Mansouri, W. Cheikhrouhou Koubaa, M. Koubaa, and A. Cheikhrouhou, “Structural, magnetic and magnetocaloric investigations in Pr0.6−xErxCa0.1Sr0.3MnO3 (0 ≤ x ≤ 0.06) manganites”. J. Alloys Compd., vol. 688, no. 2016, pp. 752–761, 2016Google Scholar
- 19.Jerbi, A., Krichene, A., Chniba-Boudjada, N., Boujelben, W.: Magnetic and magnetocaloric study of manganite compounds Pr0.5A0.05Sr0.45MnO3 (A = Na and K) and composite. Phys. B Condens. Matter. 3, PHYSBD1500923 (2015)Google Scholar
- 22.Owolabi, T.O., Oloore, L.E., Akande, K.O., Olatunji, S.O.: Modeling of magnetic cooling power of manganite-based materials using computational intelligence approach. Neural Comput. Appl.Google Scholar
- 24.Owolabi, T.O., Akande, K.O., Olatunji, S.O.: Estimation of average surface energies of transition metal nitrides using computational intelligence technique. Soft. Comput. (2016)Google Scholar
- 28.Owolabi, T.O., Zakariya, Y.F., Akande, K.O., Olatunji, S.O.: Estimation of melting points of fatty acids using homogeneously 3 hybridized support vector regression. Neural Comput. Appl. (2016)Google Scholar
- 29.Owolabi, T.O., Akande, K.O., Olatunji, S.O.: Estimation of superconducting transition temperature T C for superconductors of the doped MgB2 system from the crystal lattice parameters using support vector regression. J. Supercond. Nov. Magn. (2014)Google Scholar
- 32.Boser, B.E., Guyon, I.M., Vapnik, V.N.: A training algorithm for optimal margin classifiers. In: Proceedings of the 5th annual ACM workshop on computational learning theory, pp. 144–152 (1992)Google Scholar
- 33.Sabri, N.M., Puteh, M., Mahmood, M.R.: A review of gravitational search algorithm. Int. J. Adv. Soft Comput. its Appl. 5(3), (2013)Google Scholar
- 34.Owolabi, T.O., Akande, K.O., Olatunji, S.O., Alqahtani, A., Aldhafferi, N.: Modeling of Curie temperature of manganite for magnetic refrigeration application using manual search and hybrid gravitational-based support vector regression. Soft. Comput. 6(10), (2017)Google Scholar
- 35.Selmi, A., M’nassri, R., Boudjada, N.C., Cheikhrouhou, A.: The effect of Co doping on the magnetic and magnetocaloric properties. Ceram. Int. 41(6), 7723–7728Google Scholar
- 44.Owolabi, T.O., Oloore, L.E., Akande, K.O., Olatunji, S.O.: Modeling of magnetic cooling power of manganite-based materials using computational intelligence approach. Neural Comput. Appl. (2017)Google Scholar