Experimental and Numerical Study of Co-ordination of Resistive-Type Superconductor Fault Current Limiter and Relay Protection
- 423 Downloads
Superconducting fault current limiter (SFCL) has become one of the most ideal current limiting devices to solve the problem of increasing short-circuit current in high-voltage power grid. This paper presents a resistive-type SFCL model developed using simulation software PSCAD/EMTDC. After being verified by finite-element model and experimental results, the model is used to study the impact of SFCLs on the power grid and the co-ordination between SFCL and relay protections in 10 kV distribution network. A series of simulations are carried out to find appropriate parameters of SFCL model to cooperate with relay protection devices. The final result in this paper could provide important quantitative basis of parameters for SFCL to be applied in a real power system.
KeywordsResistive-type superconducting fault current limiter Relay protections PSCAD/EMTDC Co-ordination
This project is supported by Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality of China. Project number 11PJ1405000.
- 2.Hernandez-Llambes, J.C., Hazelton, D.: Advantages of second-generation high temperature superconductors for pulsed power applications. In: Pulsed Power Conference, pp. 221–226. IEEE, New York (2009). PPC.2009.5386312 Google Scholar
- 3.Dommerque, R., Krämer, S., Hobl, A., Böhm, R., Bludau, M., Bock, J., Klaus, D., Piereder, H., Wilson, A., Krüger, T., Pfeiffer, G., Pfeiffer, K., Elschner, S.: First commercial medium voltage superconducting fault-current limiters: production, test and installation. Supercond. Sci. Technol. 23, 034020 (2010) CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- 4.Marchionini, B., Fall, N., Steurer, M.: An Assessment of Fault Current Limiter Testing Requirements. Washington, DC, U.S. Dept. Energy, Office Elect. Del. Energy Rel., 2009 Google Scholar
- 5.Llambes, J., Weber, C., Hazelton, D.: Testing and demonstration results for the transmission-level (138 kV) 2G superconducting fault current limiter at SuperPower. In: Applied Superconducting Conf., Chicago, Illinois, USA (2008). Paper No. 4LY07 Google Scholar
- 8.Manitoba HVDC Research Centre: PSCAD/EMTDC User’s Manual Guide, Version 4, 2004 Google Scholar