Magnetostriction Behavior of Pseudobulk CoFeBSiNb(Ga) Systems
Co-based ferromagnetic amorphous systems prepared by rapid quenching are parts of a very interesting group of materials from the perspective of new magnetic application possibilities. Practical applications of amorphous metallic glasses are in some cases limited by the thickness of the ribbon. In the present contribution as-cast and after annealing Co–Fe–B–Si–Nb ribbons (monolayer), pseudobulk (bilayer, trilayer) materials with increased thickness in comparison with ribbons (monolayer) and Co–Fe–B–Si–Nb-Ga ribbon were investigated by measurements of magnetostriction λ s . These materials were prepared by planar flow casting method (PFC) and modified PFC method with a single crucible which has two or three nozzles for preparation of pseudobulk samples, respectively. The field dependence of the parallel [λ par(H)] and perpendicular [λ perp(H)] magnetostrictions in the sample plane was measured at room temperature. These dependencies were used to calculate the values of saturation magnetostriction λ s . Microstructure of the as-cast samples as well as annealed samples was investigated by X-ray diffraction (XRD), transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and high-resolution electron microscopy (HREM).
KeywordsRibbon Pseudobulk metallic glasses Planar flow casting Saturation magnetostriction
This work was supported by the projects VEGA 2/0111/11, APVV-0413-06, APVV-0647-10, APVV-0492-11, by the bilateral DAAD-SAS Project 50755349 and by the CEX FUN-MAT.
- 1.Inoue, A., Gook, J.S.: Fe-based ferromagnetic glassy alloys with wide supercooled liquid region. Materials Transactions, JIM 36, 1180–1183 (1995) Google Scholar
- 2.Inoue, A., Katsuya, A.: Multicomponent Co-based amorphous alloys with wide supercooled liquid region. Mater. Trans. 37, 1332–1336 (1996) Google Scholar
- 5.Shen, B., Inoue, A., Chang, Ch.: Superhigh strength and good soft-magnetic properties of (Fe, Co)–B–Si–Nb bulk glassy alloys with high glass-forming ability. Appl. Phys. Lett. 85 (2004) Google Scholar
- 6.Amiya, K., Urata, A., Nishiyama, N., Inoue, A.: Magnetic properties of (Fe, Co)–B–Si–Nb bulk glassy alloys with high glass-forming ability. J. Appl. Phys. 97 (2005) Google Scholar
- 7.Chang, Ch., Shen, B., Inoue, A.: Co–Fe–B–Si–Nb bulk glassy alloys with superhigh strength and extremely low magnetostriction. Appl. Phys. Lett. 88 (2006) Google Scholar
- 12.Kepaptsoglou, D.M.: New nanocrystalline materials for electronic applications. Ph.D. thesis Athens, N.T.U. of Athens, Greece (2005) Google Scholar