Spectrally Efficient 3D Optical CDMA Using Coherent Spatial Phase–Time Coding/Decoding
We demonstrate a WDM compatible optical CDMA system incorporating 3D spectral phase–time encoding/decoding. We provide coding and decoding using binary [0, π] phase chips for six users at 6 Gb/s, with a single coded signal separated with an acceptable bit-error rate ≤10 −9. The coding and decoding method is based on 3D coding of tightly spaced phase-locked laser lines that is compatible with conventional WDM networking. In optical CDMA systems, we propose to provide encoding and decoding done by converting Hadamard codes (used for conventional CDMA system) to the phase codes. We report that duo-binary modulation format is the best with adequate bandwidth compression. We confirm that better simulation results are reached in terms of the Q factor and bit error rate.
KeywordsCode-division multiple access (CDMA) code-division multiplexing optical code-division multiple access (OCDMA) optical communications wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) on–off keying (OOK)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.X. Sun and F. M. Davidson, J. Lightwave Technol., 10, (1992).Google Scholar
- 11.A. M. Weiner and J. A. Salehi, “Optical code-division multiple access,” in: J. E. Midwinter (Ed.), Photonics in Switching, Academic Press, San Diego (1993), Vol. 2, p. 73.Google Scholar
- 12.J. E. McGeehan, S. M. Reza, M. Nezam, et al., “3D time–wavelength–polarization OCDMA coding for increasing the number of users in OCDMA LANs,” talk presented at the Optical Fiber Communication Conference, Los Angeles (2004), paper FE5.Google Scholar
- 14.J. Singh and M. L. Singh, IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., 22, (2010).Google Scholar
- 16.Z. Jiang, S.-D. Yang, D. E. Leaird, et al., J. Lightwave Technol., 23, (2005).Google Scholar
- 17.Y. Du, S. J. B. Yoo, and Z. Ding, IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., 18, (2006).Google Scholar
- 18.K. J. Horadam, Hadamard Matrices and Their Applications, Princeton University Press (1986).Google Scholar