Relationship Between Religious Orientation and Death Anxiety in Elderly Individuals
- 156 Downloads
This study aims to identify the relationship between religious orientation and death anxiety in elderly individuals aged 65 and over. This study is cross sectional in nature. It was conducted with the participation of 250 individuals aged 65 and over who were registered in Family Health Centers in the city center located in the eastern part of Turkey between February and June, 2018. The participants’ Religious Orientation Scale mean score was found to be 53.03 ± 9.91, and Religious Orientation Scale mean score was found to be significantly higher in married people, in graduates of high school, in those who had social security, and in those who lived with their spouse (p < 0.01). Death Anxiety Scale mean score was found to be 7.73 ± 2.28, and Death Anxiety Scale mean score was significantly higher in those who lived with their children (p < 0.05). No statistically significant relationship was found between Death Anxiety and Religious Orientation. Elderly individuals were found to have high religious orientation and death anxiety. It is recommended that the factors that increase death anxiety should be identified, interventions should be provided to decrease these factors, and elderly people should be provided with social services for their religious needs.
KeywordsReligious orientation Death anxiety Elderly people
The authors wish to thank all participants for engaging in this study. The authors are grateful to Duygu Ispinar for proofreading the manuscript.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
People who accepted to participate in the study were informed about the study, and their verbal consent was obtained prior to the study.
- Akça, F., & Köse, İ. A. (2008). Ölüm Kaygısı Ölçeğinin Uyarlanması: Geçerlik ve Güvenirlik Çalışması. Klinik Psikiyatri Dergisi,11(1), 7–16.Google Scholar
- Amjad, A. (2014). Death anxiety as a function of age and religiosity. Journal of Applied Environmental and Biological Sciences,4(9), 333–341.Google Scholar
- Çınar, M. (2016). Tanrı’ya Bağlanma Tarzı ve Ölüm Kaygısı İlişkisi Üzerine Bir Araştırma. Atatürk Üniversitesi İlâhiyât Tetkikleri Dergisi,45, 313–338.Google Scholar
- Dağlı, E. N. (2010). Yaşlılarda ölüm kaygısı ve dindarlık (Doctoral dissertation, Selçuk Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü).Google Scholar
- Eshbaugh, E., & Henninger, W. (2013). Potential mediators of the relationship between gender and death anxiety. Individual Differences Research,11(1), 22–30.Google Scholar
- Khormaeı, F., Dehbıdı, F. A., & Zehı, E. H. (2017). Prediction of death anxiety based on demographic characteristics and spirituality components in the elderly. Health, Spirituality and Medical Ethics,4(2), 21–26.Google Scholar
- Kımter, N., & Köftegül, Ö. (2017). Yetişkinlerde Ölüm Kaygısı İle Dindarlık Arasındaki İlişkiler Üzerine Bir İnceleme. Journal of Faculty of Theology, Sakarya University/Sakarya Üniversitesi Ilahiyat Fakültesi Dergisi, 19(36), 55–82.Google Scholar
- Kurtulan, M. H., & Karaırmak, Ö. (2016). Ölüm kaygısı, tinsellik, dindarlık eğilimi ve varoluş kaygısı arasındaki ilişkilerin incelenmesi. Spiritual Psychology and Counseling, 1–2.Google Scholar
- Lıeberman, E. J., & Kramer, R. (2012). The letters of Sigmund Freud and Otto Rank. Inside psychoanalysis. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Onay, A. (2000). Religious attitudes and Muslim identity, with reference to Turkish university students (Doctoral dissertation, University of Leeds).Google Scholar
- Özbolat, A. (2016). Beşikten Mezara: Yaşlılığın Sosyolojisi ve Din-Adana Örneği. Çukurova Üniversitesi İlahiyat Fakültesi Dergisi (ÇÜİFD),16(2), 53–76.Google Scholar
- Öztürk, Z. K. (2010). Yaşlı bireylerde ölüm kaygısı. Yayınlanmamış Uzmanlık Tezi. Çukurova Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi, Ruh Sağlığı ve Hastalıkları Anabilim Dalı, Adana.Google Scholar
- Şenol, C. (1989). Ankara İlinde Kurumlarda Yaşayan Yaşlılarda Ölüme ilişkin Kaygı ve Korkular Yayınlamamış Yüksek Lisans Tezi. Ankara, AÜ Sosyal Bilimler Enst, 100.Google Scholar
- Wen, Y. H. (2010). Religiosity and death anxiety. The Journal of Human Resource and Adult Learning,6(2), 31.Google Scholar
- Yıldız, M. (2006). Ölüm kaygısı ve dindarlık. İzmir: İzmir İlahiyat Vakfı Yayınları. Center for Values Education.Google Scholar
- Yıldız, M. (2014). Ölüm kaygısı ve dindarlık. 2. Baskı. İzmir: İzmir İlahiyat Fakültesi Yayınları.Google Scholar