Facile preparation of 3D graphene-based/polyvinylidene fluoride composite for organic solvents capture in spent fuel reprocessing
- 56 Downloads
“Red oil” explosion is an important safety issue in spent fuel reprocessing and the most fundamental measure to prevent “red oil” explosion is the capture of organic solvents in water phase requiring further treatment. In this paper, superhydrophobic graphene/polyvinylidene fluoride composite aerogel (GA–PVDF) was synthesized by using HI as reductant under mild condition. The characterizations of SEM, FTIR, XRD, contact angle, mechanical property and oil/water absorption ability were performed to optimize the preparation conditions of GA–PVDF. It is found under optimal condition, the composite shows excellent water resistance, oil–water separation and mechanical properties. Furthermore, the recyclability and possible operation model of obtained GA–PVDF were also investigated. The result demonstrates that the composite material can be simply and efficiently used to capture the organic solvents without water uptake, which is attractive in the application of spent fuel reprocessing. Moreover, the recyclability of material also ensures the reduction of secondary waste. All of these indicate that GA–PVDF has great application potential for oil–water separation and “red oil” explosion prevention in spent fuel reprocessing.
KeywordsGraphene/PVDF aerogels “Red oil” explosion Oil–water separation Recyclability
This work was financially supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 11305244; 11505270) and “Strategic Priority Research Program” of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (Grant No. XDA02030000).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
There are no conflicts of interest to declare.
- 2.K. Chandran, B. Sreenivasulu, N. Ramanathan, P.C. Clinsha, A. Suresh, N. Sivaraman, Thermal decomposition behaviour of irradiated tri n-butyl phosphate and mixture of di and mono n-butyl phosphate-nitric acid systems. Thermochim. Acta 657, 1–11 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tca.2017.09.018 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.S. Manohar, K. Narayan Kutty, B.V. Shah, P.K. Wattal, S.L. Bajoria, N.S. Kolhe, V.K. Rathod, Removal of dissolved Trin-butyl phosphate from aqueous streams of reprocessing origin: engineering scale studies. Desalin Water Treat 38(1–3), 146–150 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1080/19443994.2012.664316 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.X. Yue, J. Li, T. Zhang, F. Qiu, D. Yang, M. Xue, In situ one-step fabrication of durable superhydrophobic-superoleophilic cellulose/LDH membrane with hierarchical structure for efficiency oil/water separation. Chem. Eng. J. 328, 117–123 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2017.07.026 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.H. Chang, J. Qin, P. Xiao, Y. Yang, T. Zhang, Y. Ma, Y. Huang, Y. Chen, Highly reversible and recyclable absorption under both hydrophobic and hydrophilic conditions using a reduced bulk graphene oxide material. Adv. Mater. 28(18), 3504–3509 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201505420 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.A. Marmur, Solid-surface characterization by wetting. Annu. Rev. Mater. Res. 39(1), 473–489 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.matsci.38.060407.132425 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Z. Peng, C. Xiong, W. Wang, F. Tan, X. Wang, X. Qiao, P.K. Wong, Hydrophobic modification of nanoscale zero-valent iron with excellent stability and floatability for efficient removal of floating oil on water. Chemosphere 201, 110–118 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2018.02.149 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Y. Wu, N. Yi, L. Huang, T. Zhang, S. Fang, H. Chang, N. Li, J. Oh, J.A. Lee, M. Kozlov, A.C. Chipara, H. Terrones, P. Xiao, G. Long, Y. Huang, F. Zhang, L. Zhang, X. Lepro, C. Haines, M.D. Lima, N.P. Lopez, L.P. Rajukumar, A.L. Elias, S. Feng, S.J. Kim, N.T. Narayanan, P.M. Ajayan, M. Terrones, A. Aliev, P. Chu, Z. Zhang, R.H. Baughman, Y. Chen, Three-dimensionally bonded spongy graphene material with super compressive elasticity and near-zero Poisson’s ratio. Nat. Commun. 6, 6141 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms7141 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 40.F. Chen, Y. Lu, X. Liu, J. Song, G. He, M.K. Tiwari, C.J. Carmalt, I.P. Parkin, Table salt as a template to prepare reusable porous PVDF-MWCNT foam for separation of immiscible oils/organic solvents and corrosive aqueous solutions. Adv. Funct. Mater. 27(41), 1702926 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201702926 CrossRefGoogle Scholar