Poly(vinyl alcohol-co-lactic acid)/Hydroxyapatite Composites: Synthesis and Characterization
There is a wide range of applications where calcium phosphate and hydroxyapatite (HA) are used as biomaterials, e.g. as synthetic bone grafts, coating on metal prostheses (like hip endoprostheses or dental implants) and drug carriers. In the study, the design and synthesis of composites based on poly(vinyl alcohol-co-lactic acid)/hydroxyapatite (PVA-co-LA/HA) with potential for biomedical applications, they are presented. The hydroxyapatite particles were surface-grafted with l(+)-lactic acid in the presence of manganese acetate as catalyst, resulting in modified hydroxyapatite (HAm) with improved capacity of bonding, respectively for the preparation of the composite based on PVA-co-LA/HAm. FT-IR spectra further confirmed the existence of PLA polymer on the surface of HA particles. In synthesis of PVA-co-LA copolymer the different molar ratios PVA/LA (2/1, 1/1, 1/2), toluene/water: 1/2 (as azeotrope solvent mixture) and manganese acetate as catalyst, were used. The composite materials were synthesized in situ with 10 wt% HA, and respectively HAm (reported to PVA and lactic acid components). The composite materials were characterized by FTIR spectroscopy, thermal analyses (DSC, DTG), 1H-NMR spectroscopy, particle size distribution and zeta potential.
KeywordsBiomaterials Copolymers Poly(vinyl alcohol-co-lactic acid)/hydroxyapatite Composites
This work was supported by CNCSIS–UEFISCSU, project number 466 PNII—IDEI code_995/2009: Researches in the Field of Polymeric Matrices Design for Sensitive Structures Romania.
- 1.Black J (1992) Biological Performance of Materials: Fundamentals of Biocompatibility. New York, Marcel DekkerGoogle Scholar
- 5.Geesink RGT, Manley MT (1993) Hydroxyapatite coatings in orthopeadic surgery. Raven Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Frayssinet P, Hardy D, Hanker JS, Giammara BL (1995) Cells Mater 5:125Google Scholar
- 42.Galwey AK, Brown ME (1999) Thermal decomposition of ionic solids. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 46.Kopinke D. F., Muckenzie (1997) J Anal Appl Pyrolysis: 40–41, 43–53Google Scholar
- 47.Xiao C, Liu H, Gao S, Zhang L (2000) Characterization of poly(vinyl alcohol)-konjac glucomannan blend films. Pure Appl Chem A37(9):1009–1021Google Scholar