Degradation of Polyethylene Designed for Agricultural Purposes
- 363 Downloads
For many years now, scientific articles have been published on the potential biodegradability of polyethylene. Polyethylene (PE) with peroxidant additives, in the form of agricultural films, is sold by various suppliers as biodegradable mulch. Even though, the photo-chemical and thermal degradation of these products under artificial laboratory conditions is highlighted, several extrapolation on the biodegradation and, moreover, on the neutral environmental impact of PE are made. In this study, three different commercial mulch films have been submitted to standardised biodegradation tests and the results are discussed. The first conclusions are that a very low degree of biodegradation of the commercial PE films is achieved from these tests and that crosslinked PE micro-fragments are found in soil after a very long period of time.
KeywordsBiodegradability polyethylene fragments crosslinking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Vert (2000) Definitions, CEN TC 249 WG 9–21Google Scholar
- 3.Zeni, M., Riveros, R., Keller, A., Grisa, A. C. 1999Polym. Deg. Stab.66320327Google Scholar
- 5.A. Maaroufi (1993) PhD, University Clermont Ferrand 2Google Scholar
- 10.E. Chiellini, A. Corti, and G. Swift (2002) 7th World Conference on Biodegradable Polymers & Plastics, Tirrenia (Pisa), Italie, 4–8 juinGoogle Scholar
- 12.I. Jakubowicz (1999) 2nd International Conference on Polymer␣Modification & Stabilisation, Budapest, Hungary, 1–5 AugustGoogle Scholar
- 19.S. Lefaux, L. Benguigui, J. C. Brosse, L. Campistron, A. Laguerre, M. Laulier, V. Leignel, A. Manceau, and G. Tremblin (2002) Journées Scientifiques 2002 – Sections Locales SFC Caen-Le Mans, France, 2 maiGoogle Scholar
- 20.V. Monti, L. Benguigui, and J. C. Brosse (2002) XXIII èmes journées du GFP Ouest. Brest, France, 6 et 7 juinGoogle Scholar
- 23.Scott, G. 1999J. Polym. Environ.8134152Google Scholar
- 24.Labelling biodegradable products (2002) Contract SMT 4 CT97–2167Google Scholar
- 25.A. Calmon-Décriaud (1998) PhD, INPT, FranceGoogle Scholar