An Effective Detection Mechanism for Localizing Macular Region and Grading Maculopathy
- 22 Downloads
The eye disease is prominent in many nations including India and is said to affect up to 80% patients having diabetes. Diabetic Retinopathy is the medical term for denoting the damages to retina caused due to diabetes mellitus. Implying K means Clustering algorithm for coarse segmentation, hard distils are identified with better accuracy than the classical approaches. The variance based methods for segmenting hard distils are reviewed in the surveys and had to be improved. To remove the background features from the picture and conserve computational costs, a mathematical morphological method is used to reconstruct the image features for better segmentation. The results obtained for 96.4% sensitivity and 97.2% specificity. Along with this advantage, a graphical user interface is developed which will simplify the usage of this system. This model will divide the fragments into regions of interests having lesions and normal regions carrying normal features. After this segmentation, ophthalmologists will utilize the results to grade diabetic retinopathy and devise a treatment plan.
KeywordsRetinal images K-means clustering macular region GUI
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interests
The authors declare that this article content has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the author.
- 9.Thitiporn, C., and Fan, G. L., An efficient algorithm for extraction of anatomical structures in retinal images. Proc. Of Intl. Conf. Image Process. 1:1093–1096, 2003.Google Scholar
- 11.Priya, S., Varatharajan, R., Manogaran, G., Sundarasekar, R., and Kumar, P. M., Paillier homomorphic cryptosystem with poker shuffling transformation based water marking method for the secured transmission of digital medical images. Person. Ubiquit. Comput., 1–11, 2018.Google Scholar
- 12.Varatharajan, R., Preethi, A. P., Manogaran, G., Kumar, P. M., and Sundarasekar, R., Stealthy attack detection in multi-channel multi-radio wireless networks. Multimed. Tools Appl. 1–24, 2018.Google Scholar
- 14.Kumar, P. M., & Gandhi, U. D. (2018). A novel three-tier Internet of Things architecture with machine learning algorithm for early detection of heart diseases. Computers & Electrical Engineering, 65, 222–235.Google Scholar
- 17.Manogaran, G., Shakeel, P. M., Hassanein, A. S., Priyan, M. K., and Gokulnath, C., Machine-learning approach based gamma distribution for Brian abnormalities detection and data sample imbalance analysis. IEEE Access, 2018.Google Scholar
- 18.Iyapparaja, M., & Tiwari, M. (2017, November). Security policy speculation of user uploaded images on content sharing sites. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (Vol. 263, No. 4, p. 042019). IOP Publishing.Google Scholar
- 19.Iyapparaja, M., & Sivakumar, P. (2017). Metrics Based Evaluation for Disease Affection in Distinct Cities. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 10(8), 2487–2491.Google Scholar
- 20.Siddalingaswamy, P. C., Automatic detection of retinal features for screening of diabetic retinopathy using image processing technique. Ph.D. dissertation, Manipal University, India, 2011.Google Scholar