Maturity Assessment Methodology for HISMM - Hospital Information System Maturity Model
- 32 Downloads
Maturity models have been adopted in organizations from different sectors of activity, as guides and references for information system (IS) management. In the healthcare field, maturity models have also been used to deal with the enormous complexity and demands of hospital information systems (HIS). This article presents a research project that aimed to develop a new comprehensive model of maturity for a health area. HISMM (hospital information system maturity model) was developed to address the complexity of HIS and intends to offer a useful tool to meet the demands of its management. The HISMM has the peculiarity of combining a set of key maturity influence factors and their respective characteristics, enabling not only the assessment of the global maturity of an HIS but also of the individual maturities of its various dimensions. In this article, we present a methodology for the application and implementation of this model in HIS, thus contributing to its widespread practical application and acceptance.
KeywordsStages of growth Maturity models Hospital information systems Management eHealth
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
João Vidal Carvalho declares that has no conflict of interest. Álvaro Rocha declares that has no conflict of interest. António Abreu declares that has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with animals performed by any of the authors.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 2.Ahtonen, A., Healthy and active ageing: turning the 'silver' economy into gold. European Policy Centre, Europe's Political Economy - Coalition for Health, Ethics and Society (CHES), 2012.Google Scholar
- 4.Mettler, T., Maturity assessment models: a design science research approach. Int. J. Soc. Syst. Sci. 3, Nr. 1–2, 2011: p. 81–98.Google Scholar
- 5.Van Dyk, L. and Schutte, C.S.L., The telemedicine service maturity Model: A framework for the measurement and improvement of telemedicine services. Intech: Open Science/open Minds Telemed. (Chapter 10), 2013.Google Scholar
- 6.Caralli, R. and Knight, M., Maturity models 101: a primer for applying maturity models to smart grid security, resilience, and interoperability. Software engineering institute, Carnegie Mellon University, 2012.Google Scholar
- 7.Mettler, T., Thinking in terms of design decisions when developing maturity models. Int. J. Strat. Decision Sci. (IJSDS), 2010. 1(4): p. 76–87.Google Scholar
- 8.Freixo, J., and Rocha, Á., Arquitetura de Informação de Suporte à Gestão da Qualidade em Unidades Hospitalares. RISTI - Revista Ibérica de Sistemas e Tecnologias de Informação 14:1–18, 2014.Google Scholar
- 9.Sharma, B., Electronic healthcare maturity Model (eHMM): A white paper. Quintegra Solutions Limited, 2008.Google Scholar
- 10.Gonçalves, J., and Rocha, Á., A decision support system for quality of life in head and neck oncology patients. Head Neck Oncol. 4(3):1–9, 2012.Google Scholar
- 11.Mettler, T., A design science research perspective on maturity models in information systems. St. Gallen: University of St. Gallen, 2009.Google Scholar
- 14.Carvalho, J.V., Rocha, A., and Abreu, A., Maturity of hospital information systems: Most important influencing factors. Health Inform. J. 1460458217720054, 2017.Google Scholar
- 15.Carvalho, J. V., Rocha, Á., and Abreu, A., HISMM - hospital information system maturity model: a synthesis. Int Conf Softw Process Improve. 537:189–200, 2016.Google Scholar
- 18.Roesems-Kerremans, G., Big data in healthcare. J. Healthcare Comm. 1(4:33), 2016.Google Scholar
- 19.Priestman, W., ICT Strategy 2007–2011 for The Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust. Trust Board Meeting 6th November 2007. Document Number: V1.4, 2007.Google Scholar
- 20.Saleh, M. F., Information security maturity model. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Sec. (IJCSS) 5(3):316–337, 2011.Google Scholar
- 21.Mikalef, P. and Batenburg, R., Determinants of IT adoption in hospitals - IT Maturity surveyed in an European Context. Proceedings of the International Conference on Health Informatics, Italy., 2011.Google Scholar