Hybrid Filtering Approach for Retrieval of MRI Image
- 53 Downloads
The quality of Magnetic Resonance Images(MRI) are degraded by the various types of noises. In this paper, a Hybrid Multi-resolution filter for denoising the MRI images degraded by the Salt and Pepper noise is proposed and the wavelet transform is used to improve the resolution of the denoised image.. The Hybrid filter consist of three value weighted filter and similarity based filter. In three value weighted filter, a variable local window is applied to find the noisy pixels. By using the noise free pixels in that window, the noisy pixels are reconstructed using three value method. In similarity based filter, a variable local window is applied to reconstruct the noisy pixels. In that window, based on the similarity between the noisy pixel sequence and noise free pixels sequence are used to reconstruct the noisy pixel. At last wavelet transform is used to increase the resolution of the reconstructed image. The experimental results shows that the proposed filter denoises the image and improves the resolution when compared to the existing methods and produces the efficiency of about 98%.
KeywordsImage denoising Hybrid filter Weighted filter Similarity filter Multi-resolution
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Research Involving Human Participants and/or Animals - Ethical Approval
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
No humans are involved.
- 1.Gonzalez, R. C., and Woods, R. E., Digital image processing. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 2002.Google Scholar
- 5.Cheng, C.-C.; Cheng, F.-C.; Lin, P.-H., and Huang, S.-C., A block-based switch median filter for removing high density salt-and-pepper noises. 2014 IEEE Int. Conf. Consum. Electron. Taiwan, 2014.Google Scholar
- 6.Sulaiman, S. N., Che Ishak, S. M., Isa, I. S., and Hamzah, N., De-noising of noisy MRI brain image using the switching-based clustering algorithm. 2014 IEEE Int. Conf. Contrl. Syst. Comput. Eng. (ICCSCE 2014), 2014.Google Scholar
- 8.Veerakumar, T., Esakkirajan, S., and Vennila, I., Salt and pepper noise removal in video using adaptive decision based median filter. 2011 Int. Conf. Multimed. Sign. Process. Commun. Technol., 2011.Google Scholar
- 9.Jiang, D.-S., Li, X.-B., Wang, Z.-L., and Liu, C., An efficient edge-preserving approach based on adaptive fuzzy switching median filter. 2011 Int. Conf. Qual. Reliab. Risk Mainten. Saf. Eng., 2011.Google Scholar
- 11.Daiyan, G. M., and Mottalib, M. A. Removal of high density salt & pepper noise through a modified decision based median filter. 2012 Int. Conf. Inform. Electron. Vision (ICIEV), 2012.Google Scholar
- 13.Jayasree, M., and Narayanan, N. K., An efficient mixed noise removal technique from gray scale images using noisy pixel modification technique. 2015 Int. Conf. Commun. Signal Process. (ICCSP), 2015.Google Scholar
- 19.Ching T. L., and Yuechen, Y., Removal of salt and pepper noise in corrupted image using three values weighted approach with variable window size. Pattern Recogn. Lett., 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2016.06.026, Removal of salt-and-pepper noise in corrupted image using three-values-weighted approach with variable-size window, 80, 188, 199.
- 20.Panetta, K., Squence to Sequnce similarity based filter for image denoising. IEEE Sens. J. 16(11), 2016.Google Scholar