The Association of Anesthesia Clinical Directors (AACD) Glossary of Times Used for Scheduling and Monitoring of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Procedures
- 5 Downloads
The Glossary of Times Used for Scheduling and Monitoring of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Procedures also known as the Procedural Times Glossary (PTG) was originally developed with the support of the Association of Anesthesia Clinical Directors (AACD). The goal was to establish standardized terms to measure and assess the performance of operating room and procedural areas. By incorporating standardized concepts of efficiency and utilization, the PTG codified operating room metrics and facilitated benchmarking and quality improvement initiatives. In the last three decades, these concepts have also served as the basis for research in operating room management, including incorporating frameworks from diverse fields. The metrics in the PTG are divided into four categories: (1) Procedural Times; (2) Procedural and Scheduling Definitions and Time Periods; (3) Utilization and Efficiency Indices; and (4) Patient Categories. We describe each of the categories and corresponding metrics. The PTG provides the fundamental building blocks for managing operating and non-operating room suites. We hope that reintroducing these important time markers will help facilitate the reporting of standardized metrics.
KeywordsOperating room Efficiency Terms Glossary Metrics Management
We would like to acknowledge Drs. Robert T. Donham and W. J. Mazzei for their original contributions to the The Glossary of Times Used for Scheduling and Monitoring of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Procedures and for their personal time spent communicating with the authors. We also want to thank the Association of Anesthesia Clinical Directors for granting permission to reproduce Table 1.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Steven D. Boggs declares that he has no conflict of interest. Mitchell H. Tsai declares that he has no conflict of interest. Richard D. Urman declares that he has no conflict of interest.
- 2.Association of anesthesia clinical directors (AACD). Available at http://www.Aacdhq.Org. Accessed june 30, 2018.
- 4.Glossary of times used for scheduling and monitoring of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. AORN J. 66(4):601–606, 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.Donham, R. T., Mazzei, W. J., and Jones, R. L., Glossary of times used for scheduling and monitoring of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. Am. J. Anaesth. 22:4–12, 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.Stewart, M. The Management Myth: Debunking Modern Business Philosophy. WW Norton & Company, 2009.Google Scholar
- 18.Gittell, J. H., The southwest airlines way: Using the power of relationships to achieve high performance. New York: Mcgraw-Hill, 2003.Google Scholar
- 22.McIntosh, C., Dexter, F., and Epstein, R. H., The impact of service-specific staffing, case scheduling, turnovers, and first-case starts on anesthesia group and operating room productivity: A tutorial using data from an australian hospital. Anesth. Analg. 103(6):1499–1516, 2006.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Kristiansen, K. O., Vig, S., Boggs, S. D., Howard, A. B., Logan, D. C., Urman, R. D., and Tsai, M. H., Perceived or management strengths and weaknesses: A novel coding system. J. Med. Pract. Manage, 2017.Google Scholar