Analysis of Cloud-Based Solutions on EHRs Systems in Different Scenarios
- First Online:
- 949 Downloads
Nowadays with the growing of the wireless connections people can access all the resources hosted in the Cloud almost everywhere. In this context, organisms can take advantage of this fact, in terms of e-Health, deploying Cloud-based solutions on e-Health services. In this paper two Cloud-based solutions for different scenarios of Electronic Health Records (EHRs) management system are proposed. We have researched articles published between the years 2005 and 2011 about the implementation of e-Health services based on the Cloud in Medline. In order to analyze the best scenario for the deployment of Cloud Computing two solutions for a large Hospital and a network of Primary Care Health centers have been studied. Economic estimation of the cost of the implementation for both scenarios has been done via the Amazon calculator tool. As a result of this analysis two solutions are suggested depending on the scenario: To deploy a Cloud solution for a large Hospital a typical Cloud solution in which are hired just the needed services has been assumed. On the other hand to work with several Primary Care Centers it’s suggested the implementation of a network, which interconnects these centers with just one Cloud environment. Finally it’s considered the fact of deploying a hybrid solution: in which EHRs with images will be hosted in the Hospital or Primary Care Centers and the rest of them will be migrated to the Cloud.
KeywordsCloud computing Economic analysis Electronic Health Record (EHR) Requisites Solutions’ topology
- 5.Chen, Y. Y., Lu, J. C., and Jan, J. K., A secure EHR system based on hybrid clouds. J. Med. Syst., 2012. doi:10.1007/s10916-012-9830-6.
- 6.Furth, B., Escalante, A., Handbook of cloud computing 1st Edition. Springer, 2010.Google Scholar
- 7.Low, C., and Chen, Y. H., Criteria for the evaluation of a Cloud-Based Hospital Information System Outsourcing Provider. J. Med. Syst., 2012. doi:10.1007/s10916-012-9829-z.
- 8.Poulymenopoulou, M., Malamateniou, F., and Vassilacopoulos, G., Emergency healthcare process automation using mobile computing and cloud services. J. Med. Syst., 2011. doi:10.1007/s10916-011-9814-y.
- 10.Bosch-Andersen, L., Hospital uses Cloud Computing to improve patient care and reduce costs 2011. Retrieved January 15, 2011, from http://www.microsoft.eu/cloud-computing/case-studies/hospital-uses-cloud-computing-to-improve-patient-care-and-reduce-costs-c16m1l.aspx.
- 13.Bosch-Andersen, L., Cloud Computing makes personal health data accessible from home, 2011. Retrieved January 12, 2011, from http://www.microsoft.eu/cloud-computing/case-studies/cloud-computing-makes-personal-health-data-accessible-from-home.aspx.
- 14.Amazon Web Services Calculator. Retrieved January 11, 2011, from http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/calc5.html.
- 17.Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2). Retrieved January 12, 2011, from http://aws.amazon.com/es/ec2.
- 18.Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS). Retrieved January 12, 2011, from http://aws.amazon.com/es/ebs.