Performance Evaluation of a Web-Based System to Exchange Electronic Health Records Using Queueing Model (M/M/1)
- 230 Downloads
Response time measurement of a web-based system is essential to evaluate its performance. This paper shows a comparison of the response times of a Web-based system for Ophthalmologic Electronic Health Records (EHRs), TeleOftalWeb. It makes use of different database models like Oracle 10 g, dbXML 2.0, Xindice 1.2, and eXist 1.1.1. The system’s modelling, which uses Tandem Queue networks, will allow us to estimate the service times of the different components of the system (CPU, network and databases). In order to calculate those times, associated to the different databases, benchmarking techniques are used. The final objective of the comparison is to choose the database system resulting in the lowest response time to TeleOftalWeb and to compare the obtained results using a new benchmarking.
KeywordsDatabases Performance evaluation Queueing models Response times Web application
This research has been supported by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation under the project TEC2008-02241.
- 4.Chew, S. J., Cheng, H. M., Lam, D. S. C., Cheng, A. C. K., Leung, A. T. S., Chua, J. K. H., Yu, C. P., Balakrishnan, V., and Chan, W. K., OphthWeb-cost-effective telemedicine for ophthalmology. Hong Kong Med. J. 4:300–304, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, R., Enberg, G., Klein, G., Julius—a template based supplementary electronic health record system. BMC Med. Informat. Decis. Making 7–10, 2007.Google Scholar
- 10.De la Torre, I., Díaz, F. J., Antón, M., Diez, J. F., Sainz, B., Lopez, M., Hornero, R., López, M. I., Choosing the most efficient database for a Web-based system to store and exchange Ophthalmologic Health Records. J. Med. Syst. 2010. In press.Google Scholar
- 12.Hornero, R., López, M. I., Acebes, M., Calonge, T., Teleophthalmology for diabetic retinopathy screening in a rural area of Spain. Eighth Annual Meeting of the American Telemedicine Association (ATA’2003), Telemedicine Journal and e-Health, 111, 2003.Google Scholar
- 14.Gross, D., Harris, C., Fundamentals of queueing theory. Third Edition. John Wiley and Sons, 2002.Google Scholar
- 17.National Eye Institute [Online]. Available: http://www.nei.nih.gov.
- 18.Brooke, J., SUS: a quick and dirty usability scale, 1996.Google Scholar